Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by SJAR: Celebrity Reflection Inaugural Cruise Oct 12, 2012

SJAR
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Reflection Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Celebrity Reflection Inaugural Cruise Oct 12, 2012

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Amsterdam

The Celebrity Reflection is a beautiful ship and the staff was really wonderful - always pleasant and helpful.

As others have reviewed, although this was widely touted as an inaugural cruise - so many times by the cruise director. It created high expectations for something special - unfortunately, that was not the case.

I selected this cruise not for the fact that it was an inaugural cruise, but because of the itinerary. Thank goodness because if it had not been mentioned so many times that it was an inaugural cruise - I would never have known it.

Food - we ate breakfast and lunch in the Cafe on the 14th floor. The food was OK to good; service very good. Everyone was constantly hustling to clear tables and offer coffee or juice. Although there were many stations with lots of food - we tended to eat the same everyday - that was our choice. Nothing outstanding - but then how special can you make an omelet and bacon? Some of the desserts however were very More good. Dinner was in the Opus main dining area. The food was very good and the service also exceptional - very attentive.

Service - as mentioned - everyone very friendly and attentive. These guys and gals really work hard and deserve every tip they get and more. Although we prepaid gratuities we supplemented them as well. This applies to food service and cabin service. Our room was cleaned/ straightened every day - as expected; we were always greeted with a smile from our attendant.

Entertainment - OK to so-so. Several of the acts I thought would have been better suited on a smaller stage - not the main stage. A magician - really??? you couldn't even see the card tricks he was doing with or without the camera and large screen used to show his tricks. The fiddler who played mostly blue grass and Celtic tunes??? Really??? Not exactly mainstream. He was obviously talented - when he played classical tunes they were excellent. I've been on non-inaugural cruises where I thought the entertainment was of higher quality. Maybe it was my expectations that were set too high.

Excursions - I try to arrange for excursions thru private companies because those offered by the cruise ship tends to be expensive and attended by large groups. I ended up signing up for 3 of the cruise line's excursions because I couldn't find a private excursion: canal cruise in Bruges, city tour of Vigo, and another city tour. I hope they fixed the problem with their registration system on the TV - the information was all wrong. They itinerary was showing a 12 night cruise - not the 9 night cruise we were on. I never could register for any of the excursions via the system even after calling the desk several times - they tried fixing it but never got it right. Because of that I was closed out of several excursions. I tried the desk but the lines were always very long. I finally managed to sign up with the help of one of the staff. The guides were below average in that they were not that knowledgeable and with the large group it was always difficult to hear. The excursion to the Alahambra that I arranged thru a private company was very good - I would highly recommend them.

Shopping on board - There was very limited time to shop off ship so I thought about buying a hand decorated ornament. When I asked the attendant to confirm that it was hand made locally - she said - yes, in Turkey. I thought it was odd that they would have a large selection of souvenirs from Turkey and not Spain. Turkey was not on the itinerary. Very strange. I guess if I want a souvenir from Spain I need to take the Greece/Turkey cruise??

Overall, even though it rained every day we enjoyed the cruise. Thinking back - we probably would have thought it was an exceptional cruise except we were told over and over again that "this was special" - "this was an inaugural cruise". It was a very nice cruise, unfortunately nothing really special. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Reflection Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Reflection

I enjoyed the canal cruise even though it was pouring. Although I have been to Brugge before, the canal cruise provided a different perspective.