Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by dvond

Member Name: dvond
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: other
Cabin Category: E1
See More About: Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        10-12 5.0
        16+ 1.0

Ship Facts: Brilliance of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans
Brilliance Review 11/2-11/10
We were lucky enough to get away form the hurricane/no power on to the brilliance on 11/2

I will cover each section as I saw them as we have been on 16 cruises;

The Ship

Very clean and did not show its age but there was an awful odor around decks 4 and 8 that was disturbing but I never lingered around those areas, our room on 7 was not affected.

The cabin

It was small but clean, also anyone over 6 ft tall will have their feet falling off the bed. We had a HD flat screen TV as well.

The Service

The 1st 2 night in the 6pm dining were shaky but they rebounded well and we had a vg experience with Helga. Our room steward was solid as well, always got what needed to be done. Staff around the Windjammer were solid as well.

Kids Club

My 9 year old son had a fantastic time 9-11 group, he was there many hours of his own choice and stayed late night every night, counselors were very enjoyable. My 16 year old daughter went up the 1st night and did make friends thankfully but there were little to no organized activities, but she met a good group of kids and had a great time anyway.

The Food

The new menu had a slow start the 1st 2 nights where the Prime Rib and other steak were only good items but the rest of the cruise had very good to excellent multiple choices. We tried almost everything , getting 2-3 of each and enjoyed dinner. This was 100% improved over the previous menu, even the lobster was a solid size and tasty.

The Windjammer like all other cruises had the same breakfast every day but lunch was shaky at best with very limited choices, no outdoor BBQ. The dining room for lunch had a great make your own salad and solid entree's.

The Pool

Very crowded but expected on a small ship but we always managed to get 2-3 chairs for my family.

Entertainment Staff

The CD Paul and asst Cuddy were great and very active around the ship but the bingo/trivia person was having major communication issues and most if not all passengers could barely understand him. The house band was awful, either played instrumental 30's/40's music or 100% spanish by the pool deck. The only time there was a DJ by the pool who played music from the past 20 years was at the end of port days, I asked him why not on sea days, he said he had to work on the rock wall. All live music was geared to a 55 plus age group throughout the ship.

There was not much to do show wise other than 1 at 2 different times in the main room. The singers were solid but had awful material, I felt bad for them other than 1 show where they got to sing a few sings form the past 40 years. The 60 year old comedian told jokes that you can get form an joke book. The juggler was painfully awful, begging for applause and feedback and he performed twice. The "Original Drifters" were different and good,not my music but better than most. The best show was the comedian/piano player in the main room one night. If you want unique late night shows this is not your cruise, no late nite comedians or a band playing music form past 30 years.

It was overall a vg cruise, the ports were excellent as I researched before and picked a beach to take a cab on our own 4-Shipwreck Bar beach (St Kitts) 1(Mullet Bay (St Maarten) 3-Brewers Bay (Tortola) ,2-Sapphire Beach (St Thomas)I have ranked them in our preferred order. The women did their shopping only by ships and said it was OK, we had free wifi and cheap beer right at the port at St Maarten and St Thomas

Publication Date: 11/17/12
More Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Brilliance of the Seas review Read the next Brilliance of the Seas review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews