Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Goodtobeaking

Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8F
        10-12 4.0

Great time on the Carnival Magic
Let start by saying this is the first cruise for my family and I. WE took a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise from Galveston TX that visited Montego Bay, George Town Cayman Island and Cozumel Mexico. I will Touch on the ports later in the review.

Houston

We drove in on Saturday the day before embarkation. We stayed at the Holiday Inn off of I45 in South Houston do to the fact that every Hotel in Galveston was booked to the max. The hotel was in expensive about $70 for the night. We did book well in advance so that helps. The drive to Houston was good until we hit Houston. This place has the worst drivers in America. A little rain slowed traffic to almost a stop. Speed limit was 70 mph in a light sprinkle 25 mph, that is a drastic change for a person with road rage! It didn't get any better on the way home without rain.

Galveston

The City of Galveston was not what I thought a Resort town should be! The area was run down and dirty. I have been to several resort towns this was/is the worst I have ever seen. I glad I didn't book a hotel there for what they were asking in price. There was also a Motor Cycle rally in the city that weekend. Got to see lots of nice Bikes.

We arrived at the port about 9:30am stuck in traffic to unload the luggage until 10:00am. Went around the corner to park the truck walked back about a football field. We got threw the security check quickly. There was no wait had all papers and documents ready. Checked in got our Sail and Sign card on ship before 10:45am.

Carnival Magic

It is a beautiful Ship! We sailed with about 4100 other people I never felt over crowded plenty of room for everyone. I never saw any of the show in the Main Theatre, but did go to the comedy show several times. They have a Family friendly show and an adult themed show. There are 2 different Comedians for the first two days then the change and bring two other on board on Wednesday.

They switch shows every day. "The Red Frog Pub" This happen to be my favorite spot on the Ship. The Thirsty Frog is a GREAT Beer. The drinks were what I expected them to be. most people say expensive but I disagree! If you watch them make your drink You get 3 different liqueur's per drink and very little sweet mix. I think the drinks are worth the price. Now the FOOD was AVERAGE at best! Do not waste your money going to the Stake House, the main dining room food was bland with no taste at all. You get tired of eating at the buffet almost the same food every day. The Hot Dogs, Hamburgers/Cheese burger, french fries, pizza and deli was good but you can only eat that so much. The best food I got was from room service a Ham and Cheese sandwich with potato chips!

Montego Bay

We booked the Irie Mon Beach Party with Lunch threw Carnival. The beach was beautiful and you are catered to well. The Umbrella are $6 but they set them up for you. Tipping is a good practice because they work hard for you. There are people there with tables set up with a kinds of different things you can buy. I would wait till you get back to the ship because the people there have the same stuff and you can get it really cheap at the end of the day. We got 2 Jamaican Mask (24" tall) for $5 a piece. At the beginning of the day they wanted $35. They are a little pushy but just tell them all tapped out. Over all Great experience!

Grand Cayman Island

We booked a Snuba excursion threw Carnival. Last minute we were notified that the excursion was cancelled little upsetting because that was one of the main things we really wanted to do. We made the best of the Cayman Island. It was my son's 18th birthday. He got his first Tattoo, the tattoo artist name was Caz. She did a great job. She fit us in on short/no notice and gave him extra color for a birthday gift. I recommend her if you are looking to get a Tattoo in the Cayman. After leaving the tattoo shop we saw a STEELER Flag flying so being apart of Steeler Nation we had to see what kind of shop it was. Walked I the guy behind the counter had on Steeler everything. The one difference, he is apart of STEELERS WORLD WIDE so I had to join. We visited Margaritaville and had a blast. Food was OK, drinks were strong but the party was live.

Cozumel

We Booked Dolphin swim with Lunch threw Carnival. It was a beautiful setting, you are spit up into groups taken to your area get your experience that you paid for. The lunch was not good at all none of us eat the food. After the excursion we went back to the port and eat the place xscape my mind but food was really good. Finished with some shopping the back on the Ship.

Debarkation

Not much to say about it did zone debarkation was off quickly, got luggage and threw Customs without a problem.

Over all it was a great Vacation. We are looking for the next trip.

Publication Date: 11/15/12