Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by O's, Bohs, and Cruising: Family of 4 Take on the Enchanment of the Seas

O's, Bohs, and Cruising
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Family of 4 Take on the Enchanment of the Seas

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore

I took this cruise with my my wife and 2 children under 3, along with my inlaws, who had their own child under 2. The 7 of us were booked in a single Royal Family Suite, which proved to be too small for this many people. We made the best of it however, and one child had to be sleep in the walk in closet in a Pack N' Play with the door always partially open. One of the two bedrooms simply has no open space other than the bed.

I slept in the Master Bedroom, which had a bathtub shower combination and a little open space. We were able to just barely fit a Pack N. Play and fold out cot for our two children. Space constrictions aside, the room was well furnished, with flat screen TVs in each bedroom, and a 40" flat screen and DVD player in the main living area. Our room attendant did an amazing job cleaning up after our little ones, and left us chocolates and towel animals each night on our bed.

The benefits of booking a suite including priority seating in the theater, and More access to the concierge lounge. The concierge lounge turned out to be the best part of the cruise, as many in my family agreed. Reyno, the concierge, was very helpful, and assisted with booking a last minute excursion. The open bar and canapes each evening before dinner were wonderful, and this became a daily tradition for our entire extended family. If you ever book a suite on a ship, you should really take advantage of this VIP feature.

Dining:

The Windjammer was crowded most of the time, but crew members were constantly clearing off tables and looking to assist those trying to find seating. Once you were sat, they would offer you drinks. The food was mediocre, but they at least made an effort to offer something different each day. The Main Dining Room had significantly better food, although some nights the Menu just seemed unappealing. Service the first night was very slow, and scared a number of tables around ours away. The rest of the cruise things came out alot quicker, and we enjoyed our experience in the main dining room. Our Headwaiter loved playing with my children, and gave them extra attention throughout the week. I found the desserts and the chilled fruit soups to be the best menu items.

Ports:

San Juan- Don't bother getting off unless you have an excursion, unless you want to walk to Senor Frogs. There is jewelry shopping, but not much else in the historic district.

St. Thomas- We went to Magen's Bay, which is as beautiful as they say it is. It gets crowded later in the day, but the beach alone is worth a trip. Try the local "Carib" beer, and hit the shops on the way back. You can't beat the prices on jewelry and cameras there.

Samana, DR- We went on an ATV excursion into the jungle, which was truly an adventure on multiple levels. On the way into the jungle, you passed lots of locals and the poverty is all around you. The children wave, but the adults generally ignore you. We rode the ATVs through mud, rocks, rivers, and ended up at a truly isolated beautiful beach. You can only get there by ATV or horseback, and it was truly an amazing experience. The locals will try and sell you there little handmade wares and trinkets, but are polite once you tell them no. If you want a true adventure into Samana, take the ATV tour. You also walk across a suspension bridge, visit a remote waterfall, and visit a cigar and chocolate plantation in the jungle. Amazing experience all around.

Labadee, Haiti- This was also a very impressive stop. Labadee is very well built up, clean, and well organized. We booked a cabana and stayed at the private beach for hours, and really enjoyed ourselves. There are about 50 jet skis for rental, a waterpark, massive zip line, and rollercoaster that are not to be missed. I only wish we had more time to try some of these things. There are multiple buffets set up by RCL for cruisers that get off the ship to eat lunch.

Entertainment- We also attended a magic show, which was mediocre, and a comedian, who was absolutley terrible. I was too scared to try another comedian the rest of the trip after the performance we saw. I heard from other people that the RCL singers and dancers were impressive, but that is not my cup of tea. The casino staff were very friendly, and kept me entertained while I donated my money. There was tons of trivia, karaoake, dancing, and DJ activity throughout the week, which kept me busy on slow days. I did not try the rock climbing wall or trampoline, and can not comment on those. Our kids were too young for the children's programs, but the older kids on the ship seemed to really enjoy them.

Overall, we had an very good cruise. For those cruisers looking for a good time on a smaller ship, I highly recommend the Enchantment of the Seas. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>