Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by jennyt59: Royal Carribean Bliss

Royal Carribean Bliss

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Other

We booked our very first cruise way back in May of this year through an Internet agency.We choose Voyager of the Seas because it was sailing to ports we both wanted to visit as a taste test for further holidays and the price and duration were both appealing..
As first time cruisers we had absolutely no idea what to expect and having read some negative reviews on this ship we began to hold some doubts as to what we had let ourselves in for but as this was my first holiday in many years I decided to leave negativity behind and go with the flow..Seems the fairy of good fortune smiled on me or I walked around with blinkers on because I found very little to be negative about from day one to day 14.
We flew from Sydney to Singapore staying overnight in a quaint little hotel within walking distance to China town and a quick train ride to Singapore's multiple shopping venues,so instead of heading off to board our ship in the morning we left our bags with the hotel and explored..Seems More this was the sensible choice because unlike many others that stood in line for hours we simply breezed through the boarding process.
Our cabin was an Ocean view stateroom and I was delighted I could actually sit on the port-hole and watch the water skim past.It was light airy and roomy and nothing liked I'd imagined when told we were on deck 2.
This ship is huge and takes days to orientate yourself but with so much to see and do getting lost was more like an adventure pubs,bars coffee shops duty free shopping. The Promenade often made you forget you were at sea.You could stay as busy as you wanted by going ice-skating(i did) rock climbing(I chickened out)or just laze by the pool pondering what cocktail to try next.Many thanks to the staff at the Aquarium bar who made us feel like friends rather than passengers on a nightly basis
The service in the dining room was impeccable and we felt very special with the attention we received from our waiters etc.The food on board in every venue be it the dining room, Windjammer or the Promenade Cafe was faultless everything was fresh,delicious and the variety...WOW..If you wanted it you could find it and I live with two very qualified chefs and am always spoilt for choice so feel I am justified in my praise..I never came across a staff member who was less than attentive or friendly this was an accomplishment on their behalf when the strictest of food regimes was implemented in all eating areas due to an outbreak of the Norovirus causing an all hands on deck situation and staff were pushed to the limits..
The outbreak was unfortunate to say the least but if you did as the Captain requested and washed washed washed your hands you at least knew you were helping to not spread the disease.To the many people I heard complain about the extra measures implemented or the queues now forming because now you had to BE served rather than serve yourself a little bit of patience and understanding goes a long way and it was all for your benefit so you didn't spend YOUR holiday in a bathroom or the hospital.
My only negative with so many staff called to help out in eating areas there were little left to service the pool area which did look a little less appealing on some days but this could of been helped by passengers picking up their endless plates of leftover food or used drinking glasses and taken them somewhere instead of leaving them lying all around the pool decks.
Our ports of call were Thailand and Vietnam and my only complaint was the little time we had to explore especially in Vietnam:It would appear that this ship is too big for normal passenger terminals and so is left to dock at cargo ports,this meant a 2hr drive to Ho Chi Min city and two hours back leaving only an hour for the markets(an impossible feat for even the most seasoned of shoppers)enough time for lunch and a quick stroll around the area I would of so liked to of spent more time there and in Thailand but at least I got a taste and knew what I liked and didn't.
Port headland was delightful in that the whole town came out to greet us put on markets and various attractions not sure the local pub was ready for us but it was coping just nicely with a boat load of hot and thirsty sailors..
All up I loved every minute of this cruise All my expectations were met and there was very little to be disappointed about or maybe I'm just easily pleased either way I'm glad to be able to share my thoughts on it and if I have anything to add its that a holiday is what you want to make of it and obviously we made the best of it. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3

Our Ocean-view Stateroom was delightful,I could sit on the windowsill (porthole)and watch the water (got very exciting when the seas became a lot rougher)The cabin was light airy and roomy and more than comfortable and nothing like I'd imagined when finding out we were on deck 2

Tiger Zoo

(3)
I went with an open mind having read many reviews but I'm sorry but I didn't like this experience at all I hate seeing such beautiful animals in concrete cages and dirty water and the Tiger Show itself should become a thing of the past

Ben Thanh Market

(4)
I love this sort of thing and its frantic atmosphere but with less than an hour here it was a little to frantic for my taste and I hardly got to look at the various stalls much less buy anything.This is really a full day excursion and not for the faint hearted