Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by nlktx49

Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 6A

Progreso was enjoyable!
We drove down Monday morning from our central Texas home, stopping for a quick breakfast at Weikel's in La Grange. We fought the traffic in Houston, arriving in Galveston around 10:30. We parked at 81st Dolphin and were some of the first ones there. The driver took us to the pier immediately, didn't have to wait to fill up the van! There were no lines so we walked right in. Going through security, I have a brace on my left leg and it set off the metal detector, so I had a "pat-down" then went on to the desk to get our Sign and Sail cards.

As I have mobility issues, I requested a wheelchair for embarkation,so I was given a special assistance sign and directed where to sit. Several zones were called before a wheelchair was available, but we finally got on. My husband's card was blue when it should have been gold, so our first stop was at Guest Services to get that corrected. Then off to Lido and lunch, just a burger and fries, some frozen yogurt for dessert. When it was 1:30 we went to our cabin, an Ocean View on the main deck. Our luggage was being delivered right as we got there. Got unpacked, met our room steward, I told him I was unable to walk long distances, stand for a long time, or take very many stairs. He told me to stay in the cabin for muster drill, and he would bring me printed instructions. My husband went off to the drill, which didn't take long, and our steward brought me the instructions.

We went to sit out on the Lido, hoping to meet up with the other two couples. We accomplished that, and ordered a drink, and visited for a while. We had late seating for dinner, met our waiter, then after dinner went to the casino for a little while. I had just come down with a sinus infection before the cruise, so wasn't feeling top-notch, and didn't have much of an appetite, so I won't comment on the food as my taste buds were off. Service was good.

The first sea day was spent relaxing. We really didn't do much. That evening we tried the Taste Bar, some pork in a sauce, then had the accompanying $5 drink, a blue margarita.

The next day we docked at Progreso. Despite our friends' worries about safety we got off the boat and walked through the stores that were right there, then got on the free bus into town. Once we got there we asked directions to Buddy's, ended up getting a cab for a distance we could have walked. Buddy's was fine, we got a table right at the front, which is open, and enjoyed the sea breeze and the good margaritas and cold beer. Three of us ended up getting $15 massages next door, and were very pleased with them. Eventually walked back to get the bus back to the ship. Pleasant day.

The next day was Cozumel. We stayed on board as this was our fourth time here, but our friends got off to do some shopping. We left at 3:00, so not long in port.

Another sea day, our last one! Played some in the casino, sat out on the deck and talked and drank, just relaxed. After dinner, while everyone else went to a show, I took $20 and went to the slots - managed to turn that $20 into $103 in an hour! Cashed out and called it a night.

Debarkation was slow, not just because I again requested a wheel chair. Our zone was finally called shortly before a wheelchair became available. By the time we got off it was nearly 11:00 and the next cruise was boarding. The van from 81st Dolphin was there to pick us up pretty quickly, and we were on our way home.

We had a good time, and were pleased with the Triumph. It was in good shape for an older ship, although the cabin could have used a little sprucing up. Had an issue about the a/c in the cabin not being cool enough, but a call to Guest Services had a quick response. They even called the next day to see if our issue was resolved. The room steward introduced himself, but didn't hang around, kept the cabin clean and restocked our big bottle of water each day, as I drank a lot of water. Our waiter did any excellent job in the MDR. We were kind of spoiled as our last cruise was on the Magic, and we tried not to compare too much with the Triumph. Just seemed like less to do on the Triumph, and it doesn't have all the extras that Magic does. But I feel sure we'll cruise her again.

Publication Date: 11/14/12