Carnival Spirit 2

Cruise review of Carnival Spirit

swaters
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

We've sailed on Princess, Rhapsody and some P&O cruises so I'm comparing the ship to them. Overall I wouldn't sail with Carnival again as they don't compete. We had 3 kids 16, 13,11. There always some good points and bad so I will explain on each.

An exhaustive embarkation about one and half hrs. The cabins were good and quite large.
The cabin and restaurant staff good. Food in the restaurant good. The buffet food was just OK but the area was a ludicrous design. 8 buffet counters serving different types of food each with its own queue. So then everyone is wondering around each counter trying to find food they liked and then search for a spare table to eat cold food.

The night time shows are good but the daily activities are non-existent, catering for the elderly over 70s, bridge and dance classes or American trivia. My kids mainly sat in their rooms. The movies, all 2 of them, The Castle and Ballroom Dancing too old and replayed over and over. We could have More loaned them DVDs from home to show on TV or the cinema. We heard some performers missed flights and gained others, we had 2 hypnotists. The staff had no enthusiasm and wanted to cut game activities short to get back to their chores at doing nothing. Stu the cruise director is just as lame. We spoke to lot of passengers saying the same thing.

No need to pay for shore excursions, just hire a taxi to show you around the sights, a lot cheaper and they know what everyone wants to see.

No chance of getting a pod (private lounge) on deck as the pod people reserved them all day and night. They slept them over night.They should have a time limit as it would have been nice to try one, for even 10 min. The 2 slides are ok for the first 10 rides but there was only 3 of us using it and we still had to wait for each to have their turn. Would hate to see if the ship had more kids than the 50 that was on our cruise.

The design of the ship is dated, not a large atrium with no real atmosphere, also around the pool area. A lot better now with ships having a large screen on deck.

Last to mention was the running out of the popular beers after the first 3 days, a lot of unhappy Aussies.

This ship better pick up its act to compete with the rest of the world. I suspect they dont care as I feel they think the Aussies dont know any different. Less

Carnival Spirit Cruises to Australia & New Zealand

Published 11/13/12

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review

Carnival Spirit Cruises to Australia & New Zealand

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?