Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by thethirdhalf: The Time Of My Life on Ecstasy

Compare Prices on Carnival Ecstasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

The Time Of My Life on Ecstasy

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Other

Background Information: First cruiser, 28 and single. Me and my mom went on this trip as a little early Christmas present to ourselves.

Travel To Port of Embarkation: Drove from Jacksonville to Park n' Cruise. They were extremely fast and took us right where we needed to be.

Stateroom: The room was an interior porthole and was always clean. The portholes were very clean and we were able to see for miles through them. The bathroom was tinier than I would have expected, but it was still navigable.

Ship Info: You could tell the ship was older, but it was in immaculate condition. It was always clean and it was very easy to navigate. Everything was within an extremely easy walking distance. The map by the elevators were extremely helpful if you did happen to lose your bearings.

Activities: I really didn't do too many activities, but people watched from the Lido deck. I did go and see the thriller dance class, which looked alot of fun.

Entertainment: More Went to the Piano Bar three times and thoroughly enjoyed the singer. The Karaoke was hit or miss in terms of people, but the song selection was good. I did catch The Brits and to be honest, it was just there. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. The dance club for me though was the highlight of my trip. It could be just because it was something I would never do on shore, but even though I'm no where near a dancer, the people were really welcoming.

Dining: I'm not going to lie, the food was extremely hit or miss. The omelets for breakfast were good, but only the potatoes from the breakfast buffet were edible. Depending on the day depended on if lunch was edible. I thought dinner in the main dining room was very good. The spring rolls were good, and the Prime Rib was the best prime rib I've ever had. The Pizza and Sandwich stations were fairly good and had I known any better, would have just eaten there for lunch. I did not have any issue with the buffet lines at all.

Service: Never had problem with service at all. Our room steward was extremely friendly and knew us by name before we got in the room. He kept the room in perfect shape. Guest services was extremely friendly and prompt to answer questions even at 2 in the morning.

Port & Shore Excursions: We did the brewery tour in Freeport, Brice made this trip worth it alone. The beer was just a plus. I did not get off the ship in Nassau. We hit up the Key West Shipwreck Museum and Aquarium. Both were an absolute blast and extremely educational. Mom was able to pick up some sandals from Kino's and Mallory Square was not entirely pushy. The only thing I would have changed was in Key West. We should have docked earlier in Key West so everyone could clear immigration prior to noon. Furthermore, because of being docked at the military base, it felt completely disjointed trying to clear so many passengers out by bus. This should be an easy fix should the cruise line and the city decide to do something about it.

Disembarkation: Once they started calling zone numbers, it was quick. However, it still took quite a bit of time.

Summary: I can't stress enough that I had the absolute time of my life on this trip. Sure there were a couple of minor hiccups, but they didn't stop me whatsoever from having an excellent time. I cannot wait to take my next cruise and hope it's sooner rather than later. Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy Interior Empress M18

Tiny bathroom, plenty of closet space in a very quiet location. The porthole was clean and could see for miles.

This trip was worth every single penny paid for the excursion. Brice and his wife were an absolute riot while giving us a grand tour of the island. The perfume factory was a pleasant surprise, and while perfume is not my cup of tea, seeing how they make it was a nice education. The straw market and shops, while there are not many of them, seemed a little hit or miss to me. I could have watched the glass blower all day as that really does seem to be a lost art. I was able to get a nice little keepsake necklace. However, this trip was all about the beer. It's been said earlier that this trip pays for itself in the beer samples provided at the brewery, and they weren't lying. The brewery itself is a nice operation and it was nice to see the entire operation start to finish. During the hour or so we had to sample beers, I probably had about a dozen of the samples. All of which were very good in their own right. If I ever go back to Freeport, I would do this tour again in a heartbeat.
Read 781 Freeport Reviews

My biggest issue was the fact the immigration clearance started so close to noon. In my opinion, we should have docked in Key West at 9:30-10 am and had all of that done prior to the noon debarkation time. Also, the lines in getting on a train to leave the naval base were way too long and took too long to start flowing. This should have been quicker. However, once we got into Key West, I had a ball trying to follow my mom relive her old haunts in Key West. We ended up at the Shipwreck Museum and it was very educational to see what they were able to get from all the sunken ships. The aquarium was also a blast. Getting back to the ship was very easy.
Read 740 Key West Reviews