Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Lemmi: The fantastic Liberty of the Seas

The fantastic Liberty of the Seas

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

After a somewhat rocky start (not the fault of RCCI)we boarded the spectacular Liberty of the Seas. As soon as we started to walk onto the ship we were greeted with pleasant and cheerful staff that were ready to assist you.

Our cabin,an aft cabin with an "obstructed view", was fantastic... After reading a mixture of reviews on this particular cabin and it's obstructed view we were pleasantly surprised. The only visible part of the structure is a pole leading from the top of the balcony to the bottom on the far left hand side. The only thing that it is likely to obstruct is if you decided to try and climb from this balcony to the neighbouring one. Not something I tried.

We boarded at lunch time so our first point of call was the Windjammer.. Walking in it was as if the place was brand new and never been used! It was clean and tidy and the staff were superb.

Sail away was good, leaving pretty much on time.

Not wanting to bore anyone with a blow by blow More account of our entire transatlantic journey I will just outline the highs and lows.

We received the most fantastic service on the planning during "my time dining " from Fransico and Moujahed. There was no faulting this dynamic duo. Nothing was too much trouble for them. I am gluten intolerant and they made sure every night that I had gluten free bread (there were a variety of gluten free breads so I never got bored) Fransico always made sure I knew what was available for me to eat and even when I decided that I would prefer an appetiser instead of a sweet he ran down to the other dining room to get it for me. They were polite and friendly every time we saw them, even if we were slightly difficult.

Two other members of staff that deserve a mention were Crystal and Martina the photographers. They made the formal and I formal photos a fun experience for everyone. Personally I can't stand having my picture taken you'd never have guessed that with the amount photos we had.

Chops Grille was a new experience for us. The staff were good although the service was a little slow. The food however made up for any waiting time. The filet mignon just melted in your mouth. Again these guys took note of the gluten issue and helped me to find something suitable.

For anyone that finds themselves unable to have gluten and seriously misses pizza (like me) try Sorrento's gluten free pizza.. The pepperoni is amazing.

Every member of staff we encountered were great and we couldn't fault them. They were all happy have a chat too.

Now to the low points... Disimbarkation at Port Everglades.. What a nightmare! We always expect delays when leaving after end of a cruise but leaving the ship an hour after your scheduled departure time only to walk in to an unorganised warehouse to find details your cases, then shuffle around a queuing system for almost an hour and 30 minutes is a little ridiculous. I use a stick for walking and this was a nightmare for me.

The cruise being over is definitely a major low point.

We are now sat in our post cruise hotel (selected as part of our choice air package) and it is horrendous.. The doors and windows are shut. But its as if there is no glass in the windows, you can hear everything that is going on in the street and the paper thin walls mean you can hear any conversation in the other rooms and in the corridor. No peace and quiet for us tonight.

In general well done Royal for a fantastic voyage. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 9704

9704 corner aft is a fantastic balcony cabin. The obstructive view mentioned with this cabin is a bar (part of the super structure)this bar is down the left hand side of the balcony and the only thing it obstructs is you from climbing into next doors balcony! Being on the corner this means you get a little extra space and a fantastic almost complete panoramic view. There was mention in some reviews of soot on this balcony too... In our 14 night cruise we experienced a very small amount of soot on the floor at the front of the balcony which has unless you planning on crawling around on the floor putting your hands into the corners of this balcony it shouldn't bother you. All in all you pay the same amount for a normal balcony and get an awesome one with a door and a porthole (which by the way is fun to sit in but still little hard to get back up). My only complaint being that the door is heavy to open.