River Empress Cruise Review by Meldleisure: Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest

Meldleisure
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on River Empress Europe - River Cruise Cruises

Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

The holiday of a lifetime was how I would describe our River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on Uniworlds luxurious River Empress in early October. I have never experienced so much commitment toward the guests enjoyment of a holiday. From the Captain to Zsanett, our stateroom stewardess, they were superb. I want to mention the waiting staff but then I would have to talk of the reception staff, the hotel manager, the bar staff, the Tour Manager, the Chefs, the sailors because everyone did their job expertly and then showed kindness and thoughtfulness beyond their duty.

The moment we arrived on the quayside at Amsterdam we were swept up into the friendliness, efficiency and quality that is Uniworld. Our cases were spirited away and were there in our stateroom when it was ready, a buffet lunch was waiting along with a welcoming coffee, wine or soft drink. Every breakfast, lunch and dinner was first class with options always to suit everyone's taste and often reflecting More the country and area we were in at that time. Drinks with meals were complimentary and again a reflection of the local area. Almost every day there was a town, castle or Church tour and almost all were included and well handled. If I could find a tiny fault with the holiday then I would say that one or two of the local guides fell short of the very best. We did not have to disembark and did, indeed, choose to cruise on one day and did not regret it as the scenery was superb. There was often evening entertainment on board or land. No cash is required on board as payment for all drinks, optional tours and gift shop purchases is signed for and paid by credit card at the end of the holiday. Alot of the cruising between stops is done at night and that was fine but I could have coped with more time on the river during daytime. The Rhine was beautiful with wonderful Autumn colours in the many surrounding forests but the Main was the star for me with the romantic Danube a close second. A highlight, amongst many others during the trip, was the Mozart and Strauss concert in the grand and atmospheric Liechtenstein Palace in Vienna.

Thank you Uniworld for a wonderful holiday -- need I say more than to add that we have already booked the 11 day Portugal, Spain & the Douro River Valley for the same time next year. Less

Read more River Empress cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's River Empress Review >>

Cabin review: River Empress Deluxe Outside Double Rhine Deck 424

Bed rather soft on edge so difficult to sit comfortably upon. Small, of course, it is a stateroom. Very clean and good layout utilising space very well. Difficult to better.

Disembark. Town and feature visits on every day were all very good and were generously interspersed with cruising.

Beautiful city and cathedral