Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by oneduck: Great Trip, but I think it is a sick ship, everyone coughing

oneduck
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Great Trip, but I think it is a sick ship, everyone coughing

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

We arrived at 11:30 a.m. for boarding and found it to be very efficient unlike a few of the other reviews. We were greeted warmly with a mimosa and moved on to the Oceanview Cafe for an early snack. It was not busy and it was efficient. We were allowed in our rooms about 2 or 2:30, but really didn't worry about this as it is usual.
The ship was very clean and well staffed as far as we could see. Dinner was typical cruise food. It obviously isn't what it was 10 years ago, but deal with it, it's food, it is well cooked and presented. Our wait staff went out of their way to get to know each one of us. We had a table for 12 which they had to take down every evening as we must have been the only ones that requested one of this size.
Leaving the port was very interesting as was the abandon ship drill. Funny, everyone was told YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR LIFE VEST. Despite this, there were a bunch that didn't listen and said they needed to have them. I would recommend they do More it out at the lifeboats instead of in the various venues, but this is the way it was done.
Our stateroom staff were great and so efficient that as soon as we left our stateroom in the morning and evening it was made up. Great job, Cruz and Dwayne.
Dining was great, Anak and Roldolfo were efficient and attentive.
Stateroom was great other than the fact that it could never keep a constant temperature, it was either too cold or too warm.
Theater - some of the shows were good, others, well, we just opted to not go and not complain. The shows are getting to be a little on the aged side.
Food - it was cruise food, get over it, it isn't as good as it was 10 years ago, but then nothing is the same as it was 10 years ago.
Bars - The Mast Bar (Agus - aka - Goose), was our favorite afternoon hangout. Goose knew what everyone was drinking unless we changed out mind.
The Rendezvous - was our evening hangout, after we tried Michael's Club and a few other places - Trace Gordon was our waiter and couldn't wait for us to arrive every evening. Yea bartenders and wait staff.
The ship its self - clean in my estimation - didn't notice any worn areas. The bathrooms were always clean and well take care of. More people should thank this staff member. They are trying to keep a "dirty place" cleaner than you keep your own bathroom. Great job ladies and gentlemen. You should be awarded for this effort.
Pool Butlers - ha ha...love it. They don't let people hoard the lounges. I wish every cruise line did this. Hey RCI. Give your Pool Butlers a chance to make others happy.All in all, it was a great trip and I would recommend this to everyone wanting to see the Panama Canal. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Inside Stateroom Plaza Deck (3) 7093

Our cabin 7093, we great even though it was right beside the crew area. We rarely heard them in the morning when we slept in. It was a good size for us and plenty of storage space as we have learned not to take everything you own on a cruise. I would find nothing bad to say about this other than the temperature seemed to fluctuate without anyone touching the thermostat. I of course got a bad cough which I apparently passed on to my husband. I still think that they ship needs to do something about the recirculated air!

Didn't do anything here, but walked downtown and stopped to have a beer and salsa. The beer is cheap and 4 of us had beer and salsa for less than 12.00 dollars US.

Culinary Tour

(4)
Great tour, little disconcerting the bus trip to the restaurant, but we got there and it was fun making our own tortilla and salsa. Margarita's were top notch

Train ride

(5.5)
Priscilla was a great tour guide and explained every place we went. She was very knowledgeable and fun to be with. Would do a tour with her any time. We had other ports and I can not find them in the listing so I can't tell you everything. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala - no tour, Colon, Panama - enjoyed the trip back to the canal zone and our guide was great, Cartagena, Columbia - loved the Mud Volcano - the description should be updated both on the excursions listing and on the tickets. One said Mild (excursions), one said strenuous (ticket). It was a bit of both, but I still would have done it.