Carnival Victory Cruise Review by alwaysonacruise: Ugly Decor but great ports

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Ugly Decor but great ports

Sail Date: September 2012
Embarkation: San Juan

My husband and I travelled on the Carnival Victory that departed from San Juan and it was a pleasant experience.

The boarding was at ten pm but it was the easiest boarding we have ever had.

The ship was old and the decor was rather ugly. They had an under the sea type theme with sea Gods and sea creatures and a lot of green. It wasn't easy on the eyes but after a while you get use to it.

The room stewards were great; they were polite and took care of all our requests promptly.

The food was mediocre, similar to many of the Carnival ships. Some items lacked flavour and I thought the dinner menu lacked creativity and options but for the most part the food was okay.
The soft serve ice cream was always overly soft and a bit runny. Lunch in the dining room was very good and past guests got free drinks which is always good. The deserts were wonderful!

The entertainment was rather boring. Carnival seems to lack creativity with most of their shows, More they are all so similar. I also wish the musical would have some more up to date relevant music instead of the oldies and 60's theme. The comedians were fantastic and I liked that they had many different show times. The movies under the stars was not great, they showed old movies that you would skip over if they were on TV and the guy serving popcorn took more than 30 mins to finish making each batch! I asked for popcorn once and he said they didn't have any...They should really improve on their movies and snacks.

The best part of this cruise was the stops. I absolutely loved St Lucia and St Maarten. We opted to book our tours with local tour operators to save money. St Thomas was also nice and so was St Kitts although there wasn't much to see and do in St Kitts. Also the ship did not inform us that there were jelly fish in the area and that passengers should be careful! In St Kitts we couldn't go into the water because of the clusters of Jelly fish and in St. Lucia I got stung. Barbados was my least favourite port. I felt that the port was on the wrong side of the island, it was flat and there were many slums and government housing. We saw absolutely nothing of interest.

The most frustrating thing about the cruise was how many times we had to go to guest services. They got our dining time wrong, they gave me the wrong class room key and my key didn't even work in the door. Then they put us at a table with other guests when we requested a private table so we could sit alone for our anniversary. We had arranged things weeks before the cruise and we still had to deal with mistakes at guest services. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Oceanview Riviera

We had an ocean view cabin. The window could have been a lot cleaner the bathroom wasn't much larger than an inside stateroom but I loved the vanity area there as a lot of counter space and mirrors.

Island Tour

(2)
The tour only took us to half the island and I don't think it was the good half. We didnt see anything except cows and slums.

Island tour

(3)
The island is nice but there isnt much to see and do. We couldnt go to the beaches due to jellyfish

One of the most lush beautiful islands ever. We took the half boat half land tour which saved us hours of travelling up the mountains and getting car sick. The coast is beautiful and the tour gave us rum punch and played music. We went to the volcano and the waterfall and then we went to the beach to swim and have lunch.

Beautiful island. The Beaches are beautiful especially Orient Bay.

St Thomas is beautiful we went to Coral world and did the under water sub. We also went to Megans Bay which was beautiful. They also have good shopping.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews