Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by MartynAtSea2012: Felt like home

Felt like home

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

As this was my first Cruise holiday, I went in expecting 100% all the glamor, silver service, glitter and gold. As I have often seen in movies and on TV. The Tomson Spirit however at first sight met none of these, she looked tired, dated, and in a way on her last legs. But saying that over the week we were on board with the old girl, she soon grew on us.

Our cabin was down on deck 2 and towards the Stern, meaning we were right in the bowls. Which made it very difficult to sleep at night with all the noise and vibrations, (Well for me at least)

The constant vibrations could be felt all over the decks, it was quite hard not to notice it. A tip for the women, wear a sports bra! :/

the shows that were put on every night were outstanding, and the entertainers on board have rely got some stamina! Though some of them rely shouldn't be allowed to sing!!! it was worse than a bag of cats being swung around your head.

Our cabin staff, were amazing throughout the More whole Cruise, and they alone deserved a medal, cleaning up after my other half twice a day!!

The Lido restaurant reminded me of a pushy school lunch room, everyone fighting to get there first, and get the "Good tables"

And for anyone with a NUT ALLERGY, CARRY YOUR PEN! I came so close, so many times in just one week, it was unbelievable. What looked like dusting on a Dohnut, was crushed nut! The Compas Rose restaurant on Deck 4 however was a joy, and once we discovered it, we never ate anywhere else.

The pools were pretty much just for kids, too small to do any exercise in, or have more than 5 people in at once. The Jacuzzi could have done with being a little hotter, as we found it to be quite cold on the one day we used it. and very in-personal. It was empty until we got in, then as if from nowhere 6-7 kids all appeared, and just splashed around. Will be looking into Adults only for our next one I think.

All the waiters and drinks staff were very friendly and efficient, apart from one night, the Captains cocktail evening of all evenings. We were pushed onto a small table with an elderly couple when we asked to be seated on a table for two. We were told that there wasn't any available. and then for the whole of our dinner service things went down hill. the steak was overcooked, our drinks never arrived, we were not offered Tea or Coffee after our meal, and the cheese board came covered in nuts!!!

All the little bits aside though, after the week on board and even after the day at sea with force 9 winds, and the majority of passengers throwing up. The old girl grew on us. So much so we didn't want to leave. And when we did, we both said "Goodbye" as we stepped off the ramp for the last time.

It seems silly rely, I have never felt attached to a hotel, or a building in the same way I did with the Spirit. I think I would like to go back, just to see how she's getting on, like an old friend. Even with our life boat 13.

If you want just a short break, and a friendly atmosphere get yourself down to Tomson, and get booked. You might even meet Ted. This guy has been on 30 yes 30 Cruises this year, all with Tomso.

Oh and if your doing any excursions, Make sure you book a bike tour of Toulon! Best day we had. Even though it was 20 miles. Less

Read more Thomson Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Spirit 707

In honesty, the Cabin needs updating, and the paper wedged in the gaps removing, and the shower and toilet thoroughly cleaning.