Avalon Vista Cruise Review by kangarooboy: Cabin noise problem for us.

kangarooboy
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Avalon Vista Europe - River Cruise Cruises

Cabin noise problem for us.

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Budapest

My wife and I had Cabin 220 on the Avalon Vista.This cruise is expensive & we were disappointed that our cabin noise was never rectified.We did not sleep well. The noise sounded like it came from the timber fittings installed (wardrobe,bedhead,drawers etc.) but I may be wrong.I reported it twice to reception but was never told what was done about it.After the first time I complained I asked the cruise director what was done about my complaint & he said the person responsible has looked at it & I will send him again to look at it. The noise continued & we gave up. The noise sounds like timber rubbing & stretching against other timber it sounds like a creaking & screeching & on 3 nights a drumming noise.Our friends had 2 cabins nearby & they said they had similar noises but they did not complain.Maybe we are lighter sleepers. There are 68 locks on the river but the noise from the cabin bothered us much more than the noise of using the locks.Perhaps Avalon should check if further More complaints are made about cabin 220.Apart from this noise the cabin is big enough,modern,clean,comfortable bed & pillows.Flatscreen TV with a range of good movies.Bathroom was lovely & big enough.
On the positive side this is a beautiful ship on a beautiful river.The large lounge room with big glass windows was a delight.The dance floor at night was always used and our one-man band musician played lovely dance music.The ship sails smoothly & there is no noticeable movement.There is also a small lounge area at the back of the ship seating perhaps 30 people,with a coffee machine,biscuits,fruit,fruit juices etc. Ship's entertainment was mostly good.
The 4 girl string quartet from Bratislava,the Oomp-Pah-Pah man,the zither music
we really enjoyed.

The embarkation procedure was faultless. We met at the Intercontinental Hotel at Budapest & mixed with other passengers in the lounge.After one or two hours we were bussed to the ship. As we entered the ship we were welcomed by the Captain & his senior crew.
Avalon excelled with it's choice of tour guides;they were all excellent, informative & amusing.
Durnstein was a pretty village & we enjoyed walking around it.This is what we enjoyed most about this cruise walking around lovely villages with our friends.
In Melk the abbey was amazing but after seeing 5 or 6 rooms in the building I had had enough.
Passau we walked & shopped after our included walking tour.
Regensburg we had a lovely German sausage & sauerkraut lunch in a restaurant with one of the friendly local residents.
In Wurzburg the Palace was absolutely magnificent.We did not expect this.It's done in a Palace of Versailles style but on a smaller scale.We bought some nice clothes for my wife in Wurzburg.
Miltenberg was another nice village to walk around.
In Rudeseheim we visited Siegfried's Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum.This was a highlight and is a "must see". My wife & I walked & shopped but our friends who went to a coffee making session that the ship arranged said it was very good.
Back on the ship in the afternoon we went on a cruise down the Rhine Gorge.This was spectacular with many castles.
Cologne we felt was a more commercial type city rather than the type of lovely village we grew to love.However it was the best for shopping & the prices seemed very good.
We arrived in Amsterdam to complete our cruise & were given a tour of the inner city and a boat trip of the canals. Both tours were excellent.We stayed a few more nights in Amsterdam ( at our own expense)& went to a diamond cutting exhibition,red-light district & shopped.
The food on board was good although a little too salty for our taste.But the wine served at dinner was not very good & not much was supplied anyway.You could buy a bottle of wine but it was about 38 Euros.However the lovely French wine in the cabin's mini-bar was only about 2 or 3 Euros for a small bottle & we used that a few times.
Breakfast was pretty good & had everything you wanted with eggs cooked to your liking.
The Happy Hour preceded dinner & cocktails were cheap & good.This was a lovely meeting lounge.
Overall a lovely cruise,with friendly staff on one of the world's magnificent rivers. Less

Read more Avalon Vista cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Avalon Vista Review >>

Cabin review: Avalon Vista 220

Cabin 220 had a creaking screeching noise coming from, we thought the timber in the wardrobe,bedhead or drawers.It was never resolved while we were on the ship.