Veendam Cruise Review by server: A very enjoyable time

A very enjoyable time

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Buenos Aires

Having recovered from the initial shock of the hoards of young folks waiting in the terminal in Buenos and the pleasure of the young lady who greeted me asking " Holland America,Sir", I didn't have any luggage tags in view, I would say there was nothing wrong with this cruise. Always remember that the staff are there to solve your difficulties, not increase them. I had a couple of annoying events, but they were solved to my satisfaction, complete with bottle of wine.
A few things would need attention, if they are fixable. Internet took forever,the sign said "on board internet is significantly slower than on land. Something of an understatement. The IT manager seemed to be doing nothing other than fielding complaints. My advice is not to use it unless you are incapable of existing without it.
Silly little things like salad plates being warm, if not hot even, don't bother the bus boys. They are doing as they are told, 3 of the 4 forward elevators sitting on the same floor, More never a special in Canaletto. I do not go to an Italian restaurant for Spaghetti and Meatballs. Passengers were encouraged to dine in the Pinnacle, when I tried for a reservation on the second night I was advised that it was sold out for the reset of the cruise, or at least only a very early res, or a very late one.
I was very surprised that officers ate in the passenger's dining room. At least 2 of them were at the table next to me in Canaletto. If the captain wants his officers to check out the service and cuisine have them out of uniform. Canaletto was frequently full at peak time( I dined there about 5 or 6 times) and it must have been an irritant for walk-ins.
The captain kept us informed on a regular basis. We were lucky on this one. 2 mildly choppy days, but not going around the Horn.
Very well heeled passengers with a lot of British and South Americans, and not many children
You would have to be very difficult to find fault with this cruise. Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam Standard Interior Stateroom A 742

My closet door would not stop rattling with the movement of the vessel. Maintenance apologised but couldn't fix it. I stuck the drape between the door and rhwe closet itself and it never did it again. There was a frequent odour of cigarette smoke by the forward staircase on my deck. I was in 742.

I simply strolled around a got a feel for the city. The lunch options by the pier were quite something, and not for vegetarians.

The excursion was listed as a trip to Chiloe Island. Not the case. We ended up at some oversized private estate. We enjoyed the wine and the salmon but not what we were expecting. I'm not big on statues reflecting the results of in-breeding. Different, but not for me! When we returned to the pier just after midday I managed to get on an excursion to Puerto Varas and Fruitilar, very enjoyable, especially the views of the mountains form Puerto Varas. I got a refund for my non trip to Chiloe Island. Wonder if the other disappointed people did.

Torres del Paine National Park

(5)
I chose this cruise for the Falklands and Torres del Paine, and was not about to let the brush fires deter me. A lot of damage by the flames but what can you do? Go back in 10 years? Not me.

The excursion into the National Park was just what I wanted. The town was not much,but it's the countryside we went for. Many smiling British faces back on board. Met a very famous and wealthy Englishman buying his soft drinks and potato chips in a store on the pier.
Read 98 Ushuaia Reviews