Veendam Cruise Review by server

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
A very enjoyable time
Having recovered from the initial shock of the hoards of young folks waiting in the terminal in Buenos and the pleasure of the young lady who greeted me asking " Holland America,Sir", I didn't have any luggage tags in view, I would say there was nothing wrong with this cruise. Always remember that the staff are there to solve your difficulties, not increase them. I had a couple of annoying events, but they were solved to my satisfaction, complete with bottle of wine.

A few things would need attention, if they are fixable. Internet took forever,the sign said "on board internet is significantly slower than on land. Something of an understatement. The IT manager seemed to be doing nothing other than fielding complaints. My advice is not to use it unless you are incapable of existing without it.

Silly little things like salad plates being warm, if not hot even, don't bother the bus boys. They are doing as they are told, 3 of the 4 forward elevators sitting on the same floor, never a special in Canaletto. I do not go to an Italian restaurant for Spaghetti and Meatballs. Passengers were encouraged to dine in the Pinnacle, when I tried for a reservation on the second night I was advised that it was sold out for the reset of the cruise, or at least only a very early res, or a very late one.

I was very surprised that officers ate in the passenger's dining room. At least 2 of them were at the table next to me in Canaletto. If the captain wants his officers to check out the service and cuisine have them out of uniform. Canaletto was frequently full at peak time( I dined there about 5 or 6 times) and it must have been an irritant for walk-ins.

The captain kept us informed on a regular basis. We were lucky on this one. 2 mildly choppy days, but not going around the Horn.

Very well heeled passengers with a lot of British and South Americans, and not many children

You would have to be very difficult to find fault with this cruise.

Publication Date: 11/11/12