Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by grandpaiscruising

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by grandpaiscruising
Caribbean Princess
Caribbean Princess
Member Name: grandpaiscruising
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: R322
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Birthday Cruise
This was our 24th Princess Cruise, our fourth Canada-New England Cruise. I have elite status with Princess and booked a BB balcony cabin last March. I drove from Cleveland to Plainfield New Jersey and stayed overnight at the Best Western just off exit 5 off I-287. In the morning we made to 45 minute trip from the motel to Red Hook and parked the car near the pier. We then checked two bags in at the curb at the pier with the red cap.

Embarkation: I showed them my elite card, and was was directed to the elite/suite desk right away. After a half hour in the elite/suite lounge we were on the ship first.

Cabins: The cabin R322 (cat. BB) was attractively decorated and good sized for the price. The balcony, while good size and offers good privacy. The bath room was nice and we enjoyed the bath and shower. Cabin service was efficient and unobtrusive. I got a free mini bar set up. Took advantage for the free laundry for elite members on one occasion. I also enjoyed the canapes on my wife's birthday. The 10% discount in the shops was used more than once.

Public Areas: The public areas are nice and never feel crowded. The ship doesn't feel 116,000 grt. Enjoyed the small intimate bars. They had good shows on board and the comedians were great. The bars had a buy 5, pay for four Becks beer special on the forward Lido bar. I got this all cruise long and put them in the cabin fridge. A bottle opener was in the room. There was plenty of activities to keep you busy all day including lectures and classes of all kinds. I went to the free wine tasting for elite members and enjoyed the library on board. You will not be bored on a Princess ship.

Dining: I requested a 8:00 time at the Palm dining room went I got on the ship and was assigned a table with others usually. Our waiter's were excellent and they remembered my wife's birthday on our last day. We ate all our evening meals there. We went to open seating for breakfast and lunch in the Dining room every day when not on tour. The attendance in the main dining rooms was far less that capacity due to number eating in Lido. We had pizza several times for a snack. All the restaurants were nicely decorated and the food in all the Dining rooms was generally good, but not up to Celebrity standards. The food in the Lido was also good and we had breakfast there before tours.

Tours: We did tours in all the ports including going to the bay of Fundy in Halifax, a river tour in Saint John's, a tour around the island in Bar Harbor, a city and harbor cruise in Boston and a tour of two Mansions in New Port.

Disembarkation: This was smooth. We had express walk off and were in our car and on our way by 8:15 AM. We arrived home at 6 PM after a delightful drive.

Overall, I was satisfied with the cruise, but not the front desk. We were not invited to the repeaters party till I dropped a note at the front desk and they called on the phone 30 minutes later and hand delivered the invite. Later in the cruise when I put in for express walk off they gave me tags for the latest walk off on the ship. I went to the front desk again and they were not going to help till I demanded to talk to a supervisor. They then gave me the express walk off I wanted. I put a $200 deposit down on a future cruise, but will not cruise on this ship again due to the problems with the front desk.

Publication Date: 11/10/12