Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by maryyl: Great cruise ruined by sewer smell on board

maryyl
Member Since 2010

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Great cruise ruined by sewer smell on board

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I would rate Venice among the top five ports to sail in or out of. Spectacular! I personally love Venice, but it is totally handicap-unfriendly as almost all the 400+ bridges are upstairs and downstairs so not easy to navigate with luggage or push strollers. Other reviewers have already described the challenging port, so I shall forbear.

We loved the cruise (very port-intensive); the ports were all interesting; the food was very good; service was excellent; our cabin was spacious and kept spotless by Lavonie.

We loved the ship, lots of natural light from huge windows, BUT....

1. you need to use a credit card (NOT your cabin key-card) for the safe, which defeats the purpose of a safe, IMO.

2. there is no fridge in the cabin, and all the "bar" bottles/drinks were cluttering up the dressing table. (I solved that problem by stashing it all underneath the dressing table).

3. The STENCH! It was mostly in the Centrum, some days bad, other days More nauseating, but always there. The captain explained that it depended on the direction of the wind, so I guess the wind was always blowing more or less in the wrong direction! We also smelled it in our corridor sometimes. Fortunately, not in the cabin. This detracted a lot from an otherwise 5-star cruise! I would be very leery of cruising on the Grandeur again because of this problem.

4. Probably correlated to the above, was our toilet which did not flush 3 mornings in a row. Maintenance replied each time that they were working "on the whole area"(?) I spoke to another cruiser whose cabin on deck 8 had problems with the toilet every day, so his "area" was even worse than mine...
I imagine the ship's whole sewage system needs to be revamped.

This was our third cruise with RCI, and I would definitely cruise with them again, but beware of the Grandeur! Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 2034

Large window, lots of natural light. Close to elevators. Very quiet, unlike cabins closer to Centrum which were very noisy from performances in the Centrum). Suitcases (one airplane carry-on, 1 medium-size) did not fit underneath beds so cluttered up closet. No fridge. Need to use credit card for safe.