Carnival Valor Cruise Review by barbadosbeachbum: Carnival Valor 27/10/12

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Valor 27/10/12

Sail Date: October 2012

All in all, we really enjoyed this cruise. I went with my husband to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. The staff was friendly, but I never felt that anyone went above and beyond.

Stateroom: Our stateroom was great with plenty of storage space. There was room for a third person and by no means would this have changed anything. We didn't even use up all the space provided. We knew we might have a slight problem with noise because we were one deck above the promenade deck. We were right above the Casino bar so the music was going until 12:30 every night. It didn't bother us even when we were in the cabin for the night, but it would definitely be something to keep in mind if you don't like noise.

Entertainment: The entertainment was fantastic. Not as good as other cruises we've been on, but great just the same. The cruise director, Felipe, was one of the best we've ever seen on a ship. He was funny, fun and kept everyone pumped up for whatever was going on. The More dancers were fantastic and the singers were great as well. The comedians that were on board were okay but certainly nothing to write home about. We found that there was always something going on to please everyone throughout the days at sea. Trivia, wine pairings, mini-golf tournaments....you name it, they had it.

Dining: The food was alright, but slightly on the bland side. My biggest disappointment with the dining was that I asked several times for the amount of carbohydrates in one of the items that was regularly on the menu in order to calculate my insulin dosage for my diabetes, and was told each time by the Maitre D' that she would come back to me with an answer. She never did. I guess it bothered me more than it normally would because there was another passenger with a different health issue who she came to see every night so that they could modify the meal he chose. Found the breakfast food a little on the greasy side, but lunches were fantastic and there was tons of variety. I was disappointed that I didn't get to try them all!

Excursions: We enjoyed just about all of them with the exception of a city tour in Nassau. One thing we really enjoyed was "Behind the Fun" that was offered on the last day at sea. We went throughout the ship, kitchen galley, theater, engine room, and on the bridge and met the captain. It was absolutely amazing. There were little perks for doing this excursion, but I don't want to give it away in case anyone is considering it. A touch on the expensive side, but we found it worthwhile.

We thought that this cruise was good value for our money and would definitely go back with Carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Upper 6343

We were in cabin 6343, and the room had tons of space. We were only two of us, so we didn't even use up all the space provided. The balcony space was decent, but because we were just above the Casino Bar, the music went until 12:30 every night and was really loud. This could obviously be disturbing for anyone with kids or people who want to sleep before that time. During the day, it was nice and quiet and you are, literally, mid-ship.

We did the ATV adventure and had a really great time. The guides were super nice and unfortunately, I was the one slowing everyone down, but was told more than once that we weren't in a race. I found them really professional and of course, incredibly patient. The ride lasted a couple of hours and was well worth doing. They took us through so many trails and then to this incredible water reserve. We were offered bottled water and they took pictures of us. Really enjoyed it towards the end once I got the hang of it.
Read 806 Antigua Reviews

Ardastra Gardens

(4)
Ardastra Gardens was a small zoo (exactly what we expected) and it was interesting to see the different kinds of animals. This part of the tour would definitely be great for a family with kids because of the flamingo parade. We also fed the lorikeets and that was just an amazing experience. I think they should lose the city tour (these two were a combined excursion) and just offer Ardastra Gardens. Maybe offer a bit of beach time in there instead.

City Tour

(1)
We found the city tour really dull. The guide seemed to have more to say about the things he personally loved the best and it felt like he was taking us through areas where he hangs out and was slowing down to wave to all his buddies.

Jet Boat Ride

(5)
The best time ever! The guys running this were fun, made sure we left soaking wet and screaming (in a good way!). This was the best excursion ever. Our biggest complaint is that we wished it had been longer. We would have happily paid a little more for a longer ride.

We did the land and sea excursion which was really cool. We started out in a catamaran and went to many different surrounding islands where we were told some of the history behind some of them. The guys were really entertaining and funny. We stopped for the Captain's "happy half hour" for some rum punch. We then made our way to Pusser's landing where we had half an hour before we were met by our driver to take us on the land part of our excursion. There were tons of opportunities to stop and take pictures and he gave us the ins and outs of what we were seeing. Getting to the top of the island was not for the faint of heart and whenever we heard him honk his horn, we knew we were in for a sharp turn and a steep climb. Tons of fun just the same. The view from the top of the island was absolutely breathtaking and we were able to see both the Caribbean sea and Atlantic ocean and all the islands that are a part of the British Virgin Islands. We had a slight mishap when the bus broke down, but were picked up within about 10 minutes. Just gave us 10 more minutes to enjoy the incredible view!
Read 502 Tortola Reviews