Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by goonergirl: Splendour was splendid!

goonergirl
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Splendour was splendid!

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Splendour is a reasonably small ship but I found this a good point. It still took us a few days to find out where everything was! Staterooms were small but had ample storage room for 2 people and the bed was big and comfortable. The only thing lacking was decent toiletries - just 2 bars of soap and a shampoo dispenser in the shower, so take anything else you need!

The choice of meals in the main dining room was ample and changed every day. Sometimes it was difficult to choose and when the meal came it was always delicious and well presented. If anything was not right the waiters would soon sort it for you. We breakfasted in the main dining room too. You might as well be waited on if it doesn't cost any extra, in my opinion! We tried the Windjammer for a buffet lunch and there was plenty of choice but it was sometimes hard to find a table.

In the evenings we we went to some of the shows and they were entertaining. Our favourite place was the Schooner piano bar. We also More tried the casino and this was best on formal nights when they had a no smoking policy.

All in all we had a really great holiday and I would recommend it. Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Splendour of the Seas 6579

Conveniently near lifts/atrium. Not noisy. Plenty of storage for a week. Suitcases fitted under bed. Shower a bit small.

(4)
No need for an excursion or transport - it was only a 10 minute walk! Had a good look around, went in cathedral and basilica and castle. Very pretty old town.
Read 103 Bari Reviews

Again, we just walked off the ship. They were charging 10$ return for transport. It was quite a walk but perfectly doable. If not there were taxis and a public bus right outside the port. Very nice old town, lots of souvenir shops plus churches, a cathedral, forts. Only downside was the number of mosquitoes! We were actually catching them as they landed so wear repellent!
Read 269 Corfu Reviews

Unfortunately our captain had warned us the previous evening that strong winds were forecast for the day we were in Katakolon and we may not be able to dock. As it happened we were able to dock but the winds were too high to get the gangplank down! This meant we were unable to disembark. We were also unable to then sail away so we spent the day in the port but on the ship! This was a shame as we had booked transport to see the ancient site of Olympia. But we still had a fun day as we did some of the quizzes in the schooner bar and actually won one of them!

Ephesus

(5)
Excellent tour. Very informative. Ephesus was much bigger then I had imagined and what has been excavated so far is only a fraction of the whole thing. Well worth the cost of the tour.
Read 80 Ephesus Reviews

House of the Virgin Mary

(5)
Our tour guide told us all about the place and the story about its discovery and we went after our visit to Ephesus. We all received a small pot to fill with water from the spring. A very interesting visit.

My favourite port of call! We took a tender across then the cable car up (4$ each way if I remember correctly). I had read about the donkey poo on the path but one of our group still wanted to walk and everything I had read was true!. Also the men with the donkeys did not seem to like walkers and deliberately made their donkeys get in the way of them! We queued about 30 mins for the cable car but it was well worth it. Lovely views, beautiful town, lots of shops, tavernas with views etc. I loved it!

Didn't get a chance to look around Venice as we went directly from Marco Polo airport to the port, but the views of Venice from the ship as we departed were spectacular and now I can't wait to visit again!
Read 505 Venice Reviews