Carnival Magic Cruise Review by freebirdco: Magic for the Girls

Magic for the Girls

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Galveston

Please take into consideration that I am not a picky person and usually do not complain unless something is really a problem.
This was a "girls" trip and we were determined to have fun and relax.
It was the 1st trip I have taken for sometime that wasn't during summer, fall or winter break etc.. Not many kids on the ship. I was determined to meet someone who wasn't from Texas. Never happened, my group from Colorado was the minority. Everyone was very nice.

I had not been on Carnival for 5+ years. My last 8-10 cruises happen to be on Royal Caribean. My last vacation was at a Palace Resort in Mexico. I had decided I liked that as much if not more than a cruise. My neighbor had her 60th birthday in October and invited me.
BALCONY ROOM
We were on deck 2 with a cove balcony. I had always been up way higher and was at 1st disappointed when I saw our room. After I adjusted I actually decided that I liked it. The life boats were directly above us and it was More protected. You could sit out there and not get blown away. We saw some awesome sunsets from our balcony.

SPA & Fitness Center
My friend had recently been on a cruise and said we had to go up to the spa first thing because they would have specials. Sure enough... they said that they sell 50 unlimited passes for the thermal spa. It was $125pp for the week and totally worth it. We went everyday, it was something we enjoyed thoroughly. If you only wanted a day pass it was $35 per day.
I got up every morning at 6:30 and would walk the track on top. Saw some great sunrises and it was very relaxing and a moment that I go back to often in my mind. I also went to the fitness center several times and it was very nice with good equipment. Nothing like that view...when I go to my gym now it just isn't the same ?

The process for getting on and off the ship was one of the smoothest that I ever recall. It was a little crazy when everyone decided it was time for lunch. The Mongolian place upstairs in the buffet area was to die for. The 1st day the line was very long but worth it. The only thing I could find to complain about was the beverage services. When you got water it was hot..would melt the ice right away and that area did not ever flow smoothly. The entire week there was a line for coffee and tea or lemonade. Up in this area was where I did notice the cutbacks. I was used to sitting down on previous cruises and someone would come around and ask if you needed anything, refill your coffee or tea etc. there were not very many workers around up there.
Dining Room service was slow the 1st couple nights, then we told them we would like to get out a little earlier so we could go to a show. After that we always got out on time.
We were thrilled with the overall trip and would highly recommend it. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Main 2380

Our "Cove Balcony" was very nice. Only complaint was there was a small child next door who got up and made lots of noise going in and out of his balcony every morning. I say this is a parental problem, not anything the cruise line could correct. Would normally be a very quiet private area.

We wanted just a beach day. Since we live in Colorado and never get to go to the beach we chose the Ramada. For $5 each we got a taxi there. It was $10 for access to their beach and pools which included a chair. The beach wasn't the best I had been to but for the mountain girls it was adequate and their facilities were quite nice with sun and shade. We spent several hours there then went across the street to the straw market shopping.
Read 779 Freeport Reviews

We chose to have a relaxing day of just walking around the port and shopping. We had never been to Key West so wanted to check it out. If I went back I would check out the Hemingway Museum that was right there by the port. We loved all the statues and others who went there said it was interesting.
Read 738 Key West Reviews

Here we also wanted a beach day. We chose the Sheridan for this one. Had emailed them and was told $25pp when we arrived after took the local bus there for $1.20 they told us that the rate had gone up to $30. It was totally worth it, the beach was beautiful with white sand and the pool areas were very nice and even included a towel and any non motorized sports that they had available. On the way back to the ship we did some shopping.
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews