Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by cincele: Sensational time!

cincele
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Sensation Bahamas Cruises

Sensational time!

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We had a lovely time on the Carnival Sensation leaving Port Canaveral 10/21/2012. Embarkation was very easy, we walked right through onto the ship. We parked our car in one of the private lots and took their shuttle and that worked out very well at one-half the price of the port parking. Getting off the ship was also very quick and easy.

We had cabin M253, it was a balcony and very pleasant. Lots of storage and shower was larger than I expected. The carpet could stand to be replaced but the room was clean and the mattress and pillows - terrific. Our room steward "Com" was outstanding and really took care of us. Towel animals and chocolates every night and the room was kept spotless. He was delightful and personable.

We had heard very mixed reviews of this ship including bad smells and dirty public areas. We must have been on a different ship because I found the public areas (including restrooms) to be very clean and they were constantly working on them. The More decorating was definitely outdated but it was cheerful and we thought it was a lot of fun.

I did not go to many shows but the comedy and game shows we did attend were fun and I thought the space was great, very roomy.

Dining was really wonderful and the food was very good. My favorite was the mango melon soup and my partner loved the escargot and pizza. Every meal we had in the dining room was very good. The buffet was a buffet but I did love the grits at breakfast! They kept the lines moving very well. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants.

I absolutely loved Nassau and I took the Ardastra gardens and city tour. Our guide "Rudy" did an amazing job and took us through the neighborhood he grew up in and we saw lots of interesting sites. He even took the time to point out all of the fruit trees and explained what they were and how they were cooked. The bus was roomy and nicely air-conditioned. I loved Ardastra Gardens, the animals are wonderful and feeding the parrots apple was a lot of fun. The marching flamingoes are rather cheesy but a pure delight! I enjoyed seeing them up close and I laughed and laughed at the ones who turned and went the wrong way, doing their own thing. I just wish the tour had been longer.

Our ship raced ahead of Hurrican Sandy so it was very rocky the last night. Even the staff looked a little green. But weather will do what it will do and the cruise lines have no control over it. We had wonderful weather in Freeport and it was cloudy enough over Nassau the following day to cut the heat for the excursion. Prices are down in October, so I am happy to take my chances with the weather.

This is a lovely cruise at a very good price. The ship is older but very well kept up and clean as a whistle. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Balcony Main M253

We booked M253 and it was completely quiet. It is set up as a quad cabin which I should have paid more attention to when I booked. It has the wooden structures on both sides of the room which are the murphy beds. With only two of us, these beds took up space and next time I will make sure it is a double room, not a quad or a triple. No refrigerator on carnival in this class of ships which was a disappointment. I think most of us expect a fridge of some sort in a balcony room. That was my only gripe. The shower was larger than I expected. I loved the room and the balcony was so pleasureable.

They could clean up the industrial trash all over the place. It is beautiful in Freeport when you get further away from the Port.
Read 771 Freeport Reviews

Ardastra Gardens

(5.5)
This is an excursion I would not have missed for anything. Sure, it is a bit cheesy but that is sometimes the best part of it. They have wonderful parrots and we really did not have time to see much else because the feeding the parrots and the marching flamingoes were on a schedule and we only had so much time. I completely enjoyed myself feeding the parrots the apple. The flamingoes are beautiful and they march into a round grass area and turn around on command. I have never been so close to them and they are so beautiful. They had a few clowns that wanted to do their own thing. If you are looking for a "San Diego" zoo experience you will be disappointed. If you love the tropics and the wildlife and fauna found there, you will be delighted. I would love to go back, and I will!

City Tour

(5.5)
Loved it! The City was fascinating, and while it is hard to see that kind of poverty, it is a land of friendly people with a new government of their own. We went on the Ardastra and City tour and I had the absolute best time. Our tour guide was "Rudy" and we had a nice airconditioned bus and such a lovely tour of the Fort and Queen's staircase. My favorite part was having Rudy drive us around the neighborhoods where he pointed out the features of the homes and the trees that grew. Wonderful! The best 39.00 I have spent all year!