Crown Princess Cruise Review by dkmpete

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Great Itinerary, Mediocre Entertainment
This was our second cruise (both on Princess.) I talked my parents into joining us for their first visit to Italy and our first to Greece and Turkey knowing that we would be able to see a lot without hauling luggage around or having to check in and out of hotels. We are American, in our late 40's, and my parents are "young" 70's. The trip included an extra week in Rome split on either end of the 12-night cruise. We booked this port-intensive cruise when it included one more port (Rhodes) and only one sea day. We were booked in outside"obstructed view" staterooms.

We arrived in Venice by train and found our way directly to the ship. Embarkation took about 40 minutes from the time we got off the "people mover" and arrived in our state room, and went very smoothly.We had that evening to wander, take the ferry to Murano, cruise the canal and get back to the ship in time for dinner. We did use the tickets that were left in our room for convenience. It was a long walk through parking lots from the "people mover" but the shuttle boat dropped us right next to the ship and it was good for both our evening and morning trips. We had the morning in Venice and had to be back on board by noon the day of sailing, in time for Muster drill. Sailing out of Venice was spectacular from our vantage point on the top deck. We found the "secret" deck over the bridge, but although the door was unlocked, it was blocked with a "do not enter" sign.

We found the ship to be in beautiful shape and constantly being polished and repaired. The layout is such that you seldom feel crowded . Everything was sparkling clean. When there was drip from the ceiling discovered outside our door, there were maintenance staff chasing it for a few days (always when we were away) as it migrated inside the door. We received daily calls from the front desk to check if it was under control. When it was repaired we received a call from Passenger Service to make complimentary reservations to Crown Grill for our inconvenience. The cabin steward followed through with any requests right away, our room was consistently clean, all without disturbing us at any time.

The staff on the Crown Princess was always friendly, pleasant and helpful. We were consistently greeted with a smile and willingness to answer our questions. The crew on Princess are definitely their greatest strength.

Dining: We ate a few of our breakfasts in the dining room and most at the buffet. The breakfast buffet didn't change much from day to day, but realistically when is everything on the menu in front of you every meal? I could always put together a nice breakfast. I did notice that the fruit selections became more sparse as time went on (ie. fresh strawberries at the beginning and browning bananas at the end) and when I asked, I learned that all of the fresh food was loaded at the embarkation port: Venice. We also found that although there was always a beautiful selection of pastries, they tasted dry like they had been baked and refrigerated. If requested, the buffet staff would toast them under the broiler for me.

During this cruise only the buffet and International Cafe were open for lunch. There were always salads, soups and the makings for sandwiches , desserts and fruit. The hot entrees weren't impressive at lunch in most cases. We enjoyed the salads and desserts at the International Cafe and drank lots of free lemonade and iced tea, coffee and tea.

With the exception of one evening at the Crown Grill (good, but not better than the dining room) and two nights in Davinci, we kept our 8:15 dinner appointment in Botticelli. After only one meal, the wait staff knew what we liked to drink, when we wanted our coffee and tea, consistently alerted me if there were nuts in any of the selections (allergy) and made helpful suggestions. We missed that thoughtfulness when we chose the other dining options. The selections were mostly well prepared and beautifully presented. I think we had one instance of dry chicken and a tough veal chop, but the salmon that was available every day was always good. I loved the vegetables. The beef was cooked to our taste, there was always a different pasta dish and wonderful soups. Portions were moderate, but still there was more food than I could ever finish.

While we chose this cruise for the ports and didn't have much time for other activities, entertainment on this cruise was definitely the weak link. There were a couple of talented musicians (piano and violin) but the magician/comedian was pathetic. The band that played every day was mediocre. I enjoy good music and don't mind a dance act with elegance and grace, but I'm not into skimpy costumes with suggestive choreography. What we saw on the stage was surpassed many times over by the street performers we saw throughout the trip. Even the game show style "Liar's Club" was full of innuendo and crude remarks. The worst was the crew number "If I Were Not at Sea" during the crew talent show, where a male crew member repeatedly groped the breast of the female performer next to him, another pulled down the pants of her crew mate and the Director was dressed as Lorena Bobbit. I would describe the rest of what Princess has to offer as "classy" but the entertainment we experienced on this cruise was in poor taste.

Ports: We enjoyed most of the itinerary, were disappointed with the cancellation of Rhodes, but appreciated that there was some flexibility. We were notified as soon as we boarded that there was a planned strike in Athens the day we were scheduled to visit, so Athens and Santorini were swapped. That worked out in our favor in that we visited Athens on the day when all of the museums were free. We did not use any of the Princess excursions, but saw each port as we were able independently, and I feel we experienced the culture more than if we were insulated on the bus in a big group of English-speaking people. The cost of our sightseeing was about half of what we would have paid taking the excursions.

Debarkation at Civitaveccia was painless as we brought only carry-on luggage. We had a reservation in Rome so walked the few blocks along the waterfront to the train station, avoided the long lines by buying a "BIRG" ticket at the newsstand and were on the train in no time. Before and after the trip we rented two-bedroom apartments through a vacation home website. The cost was less than half what we expected to spend at hotels and both properties exceeded our expectations.

Overall this was a great experience for us. I would highly recommend the itinerary if you are interested in longer days in port as compared to other lines . Princess gets high scores for customer service. If I were to book another cruise and couldn't find another port-intensive one, I think I would choose another cruise line that offered more activities on the ship and better entertainment.

Publication Date: 11/04/12