Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Beersnob: Had a great time cruising north on the Jewel

Beersnob
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Canada & New England Cruises

Had a great time cruising north on the Jewel

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

Embarkation: Smooth as silk. We were on the ship by 12:30p. Not the most scenic port, but I'll take function over form any day.

The ship:
Having only been on one other cruise a year and a half ago (Allure of the Seas), we thoroughly enjoyed the Jewel.

I liked all the glass and wood, and I think, at least compared to the Allure, that I prefer a smaller ship. It was a bit more intimate, much easier to get a seat at your favorite bar, etc.
There's plenty of places to be social or to get away from everyone, whatever you prefer. The area up by the Safari Room was nice because of its old school ship feel.

The room:
Clean, comfortable. No complaints at all. We had a balcony and were lucky enough to be able to use it fairly often.

The food:
Windjammer: Since there were a lot of ports on this one, we didn't eat in there too often. When we did, it was very sufficient for its purpose and number of people it had to feed. Plenty of More variety to allow me to try a little bit of a lot.
Seaview Cafe: Pseudo-table service that was very relaxing. Good quality fish and chips, freshly fried.
Tides dining: We did Mytime and more or less went the same time every night (around 8:30). Most all we had was a hit, with only one real miss. Is it Michelin Star quality? No. But knowing how many they're feeding in such a
quick succession is admirable. Of note, since it was the new menu, was the escargot, creamy garlic soup, curry (special request from our excellent wait staff), barramundi, the Grand Marnier souffle, and Royal seafood salad.
We were often the last to leave because we were chatting with the crew, which are now some of our favorite memories.

The crew:
Everyone was wonderful. Dennis and Becky have the patience of saints and were always very sociable even when not "on". I'm not sure of RCCL reviews these pages, but here some of the members that were particularly wonderful:

Giselle - cabin
Veekash - Centrum bar
Clifford - Centrum bar
Wulder - Centrum bar
Fernando - cigar bar
Prinston - waiter
Leonardo - assistant waiter
Daniel - I think another assistant waiter we ended up chatting with
And the photo crew: Anthony, Karlene, Richard, and Christian.

Disembarkation: A bit challenging since everyone refused to listen to the crew trying to keep things organized (we did the express walkoff). If anything, maybe too many people chose to do that. Which, if going to the airport, isn't all that necessary since it's so close.

We'd definitely cruise on the Jewel again! Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7632

It was in a nice, quiet location (of course, it was also a rather quiet cruise). Size-wise it's what I'd expect for a cruise ship. The balcony was plenty big enough. Only complaint is directly under the balcony is a roof that covers I think an outer walkway on deck 4. We couldn't look straight down to the ocean but rather had about a 30 degree angle before we could see anything.

To us, it was the quintessential New England town. Fun to explore on foot. The highlight was the Lazy Lobster restaurant. Great food and wonderful owners. I wish more things had been open since it was getting near the end of the tourist season. Next time I want to spend a day in Acadia.

Historic Tour

(5)
It was a big deal for me to finally visit the Fairview Cemetery where so many Titanic victims were buried. We also got a tour around the city, site of where the ice rink morgue was, etc. It also included admission to the Maritime Museum which had artifacts from Titanic that had never been salvaged, but rather pulled out of the ocean when teh tragedy occurred. My only complaint was a wish I'd been told the Acadia exhibit closed at 3p, hours before the rest of the museum. I didn't get to board her because of that.

Felt a bit too much like home (medium sized city). We probably should have done an excursion, but instead walked all around the Old Port and found a couple microbreweries along the way. Gritty's was my favorite.

the highlight was the Old Marketplace, lots to see and do in there. Also, the Big Tide Brewing Company was fun. My wife found a boutique shop she really liked, but I forget the name (on Princess, near Charlotte, I believe).