Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by FirstSail67: A First Time Cruiser Review!

FirstSail67
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A First Time Cruiser Review!

Sail Date: October 2012

We had this cruise planned a year in advance. I am a planner, so I did as much research as I could and I think it helped a lot to know the different opinions before getting on Oasis. As first time cruisers, we really had no idea on most of the stuff others would know from cruising before.

We booked our cruise thru a travel agency which did nothing for us. Not sure if this is how everyone books cruises, but knowing we were first time cruisers, she took our money and never made any effort to talk to us again. She will not get our repeat business.

At the airport, we had set up a transfer with RC thru our travel agent. I don't think we would do this again. We ended up having to push, pull and drag all of our luggage several terminals down to catch the bus they wanted us to board. The driver of the bus was a very disgruntled employee who insulted other employees and said he was quitting, as well as had several comments about other drivers (he was a scary driver More himself). We chuckled about it, but it still left a negative impression.

Boarding the ship was as easy as everyone has stated. We got on and went to our room to check out the view and leave our carryons. Room was small, I didn't find much space for clothing. Bathroom was ok, shower ok....no big complaints overall.

We had lunch at Park Cafe. Pretty warm in the sun, but we managed. We walked around some and then headed back to the room to see if our luggage caught up with us. We found our luggage sitting with a few other suitcases in a room, so we just took them to the room ourselves. We unpacked and then headed to the muster drill. As a first time cruiser, I didn't know the Sea pass card always needed to be with me. Oops.

We ate dinner in the main dining room every night. The food was ok. I do not eat fish, so the choices for me were sometimes a challenge. Mostly impressed with the dessert presentation. The service staff was wonderful and very personable. We ate breakfast at Johny Rockets, the dining room, the solarium, room service and the marketplace. I think the breakfast was best in the main dining room and Johny Rockets. Getting a freshly made omlet in both places, was great. The solarium is good if you want to eat healthy.

Lunch in the main dining room was the best. They have a salad bar and several different dishes (warm). Saw the captain at lunch here, only time we saw him other than on the tv. Marketplace was ok, I didn't think selection was that great at breakfast or lunch. The pizza place was just ok. Cupcakes were stale. Donuts were not thrilling. Free yogurt was nice on a hot day.

We spent less on alcohol than we expected. We bought a wine package, and honestly that could have been enough. We did a few other drinks and a few beers. Love the drink of the day, and the cabana boys walking around selling them.

We only had one day at the pool, thanks to Sandy. Pools and hot tubs are nice. Plenty of chairs!

We did a few shows. I am not a big entertainment person. I like the sunshine and relaxing. Comedy show was very good. Come Fly With Me was also. We attended Holy's shopping seminar and got a free coupon booklet for the ports. This is a good idea if you plan to shop for jewelry.

We only stayed at Nassau for 2 hours. Really is a dump. Nothing was open (Sunday) at 7am when we docked. The people who live there are very aggressive and it just wasn't relaxing. Most people stayed on the ship if that tells you anything. St Thomas was great. Took an excursion on Bones. Highly recommend this, the people were so friendly. St Maarten we did our shopping. Could of used more time in the ports.

The last two days it rained and was so windy. Tried to get sun on Friday, and it was funny seeing all the deck chairs flying around. Worse night was Friday, we had closet door slamming around, hangers banging, etc. I wish the end of the cruise would have been different.

Overall, I am ready to cruise again! I will go to better ports next time, and try a smaller ship. I hear from most they like smaller better. We never were bored on Oasis, I did find many of the people around us were very rude. They don't like waiting in lines, so they cut. Lines and waiting are a huge part of this ship! Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6

Very limited storage space for two people. Loved the balcony. The air conditioner was cold, not warm like most have stated. The water is always warm unless you get one class in the a.m.

Very boring port. Too many pushy people, shops were closed and no one was on the streets. Scary!
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

How can you not love a place that gives you free beer when shopping?? Great shops, pretty nice people. The girls in Cariloha were a bit rude and unhappy.

Schooner Tour

(5.5)
LOVED Bones ship! Would do it again and again. Snorkeling wasn't so great, only saw turtles and sting rays. The colors were lacking underwater. Only saw one blue tang. St Thomas is beautiful! Loved the reptiles!