MSC Divina Cruise Review by rainbirdjones: Wonderful Cruise

Wonderful Cruise

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Just had a fantastic cruise on MSC Divina, my 14th cruise. Been with many other cruise lines but this was my first MSC - hopefully will not be my last.

Very well organised embarkation in Venice and very satisfied with inside cabin. We always pay for cheapest cabin but it had a large king+ bed (2 singles together) and was very comfortable.

Few things I noticed this line did not do - no towel animals, no chocolates, very little information available about the port you are visiting, no free water with evening meal or tea/coffee. We paid for an all inclusive package on board and easily spend well over the cost of this. The package we took was 23 euros per day per person a total of 322 euros - we spent 610 euros (yes we did enjoy the sparkling wine and cocktails, but also bought teas and coffees). Beware though they add an extra 15% service charge to this amount taking it up to 370.30 euros - they did not tell us this and when we complained about the extra service charge More the receptionist misunderstood and removed the full service charge of 7 euros per person per day from our account!!.

I jotted down the cost of drinks for you to know before you go, (all in euros)cocktails average 6.25, large draft beer 4.90, small 2.90, wine 5.50, cappuccino 2.00, coffee with milk 1.60, 33cl coke, fanta, lemonade etc 2.70. Even if you are all inclusive some drinks you still have to pay for these include Jack Daniels and coke 7.75, and strongbow 5.50 - ALL PLUS 15% SERVICE CHARGE. I would definitely recommend taking out a drinks package.

Only trip we paid for was Olympia which was great and Venice on last day. Paid for bus into Bari and you could have walked to castle and historic area. In Izmir paid 50 euros for a taxi to take us to Agora, the castle and a mosque. Istanbul we paid 10 euros for a taxi to take us to historic square BUT BEWARE no taxis around square he dropped us off in a quiet street away and when we needed to get back to ship could not find a taxi ANYWHERE. Left it late and had to run through streets desperately trying to find a taxi, eventually did and he totally ripped us off 40 euros to get back to ship and we must have run half way there. Dubrovnik we used ship transfer bus and had a wonderful visit.

Lovely hard working staff, great shows which I loved. English was often the first language spoken which surprised me and I understood everything had to be translated into 4 or 5 other languages. Wonderful tenor on board and great acrobats.

Some small negatives - Europeans on ship do not queue and push in front of you not matter how patiently you have been queuing - this was to get on/off ship or buy bus tickets. More children than other cruises I have been on but they did not really bother us you can find places to sit away from them. Have to buy tea and coffee apart from buffet area. Same food every dinner time in buffet area as a vegetarian I had chips, pizza and salad every day. Evening meal not best food we ever had if you are a vegetarian get used to egg plant and even as a meat eater my husband said the other cruise lines were better BUT we were full and the soup and salad courses help fill you up.

To summarise we had a wonderful cruise, brilliant itinerary, also understood because of distance not full days in port. Would recommend MSC and Divina is big and beautiful. Less

Read more MSC Divina cruise reviews >>