Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by reesser: Special Tips

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Special Tips

Sail Date: October 2012

The most common myth stated by many seasoned cruisers is that the Oasis class ship is too large and there will be over 6000 people and it will be difficult to check in and get off. This was our 33rd cruise, the first on the Oasis, but we had been on the Allure 18 months ago. For both of these cruises, we did not wait to go through security or wait in line to check in! Getting off was easy although we were a little late arriving due to Sandy.
Baggage - we used the Internet paper tags; folded them properly; and used 3 staples to attach them to the bags. We dropped our two bags and brought them to a lazy baggage man who did not even get off the bench and I gave him $2. We arrived about 1 PM, one bag came about 3:30; we went to dinner and came back about 8:30 and thought the other bag would be there - it was not. So I went to Guest Services; talked to the agent; she directed me to a room behind the counter that had bags without tags - not there. She said to go down to deck 2 and see More the people there as this is where the bags that have weapons and booze. The bag was not there. I went back to Guest Services and then I was taken to an office where a supervisor talked to me. He was very nice and said he had the word out to his deck supervisors. I got a call about 9 PM that they found the bag. It was delivered to a room without tag to a person with the identical name as mine! I had arrived at the pier wearing shorts - you are not allowed shorts in the MDR. I did have a long pair of dress pants in the first bag. Don't put all your underwear in one bag! They handle about 10,000 bags!
Dining - We have chosen My Time dining for the last 15 cruises. This time we preset on line for 6:15. This way we missed the herd. We had no wait. We had a table for two and it took an hour. My Time dining can be a problem if you go just after a show has let out. One night about 7:30 there were about 50 people waiting. Breakfast - we don't like crowds, so we chose the MDR. On The Compass (daily program) the MDR is listed as Express Breakfast. They do have a nice buffet and/or you can order at the table. It takes an hour if you order. Try the buffet at the Solarium - usually not crowded and more like a resort style. Matter of fact we had a Specialty Dinner there one night. You have to make a reservation - you can eat indoors or outdoors. 5 courses - dinner was so so, but it was only about 1/3 full and very relaxing. By the way, if you purchase a specialty dinner, you will not receive a notification in your room. I had to ask at guest services and they printed out a notification. It is also on your sea pass.
We don't plan to use the Oasis class ship again. The shows are great, the events are great, the rooms are quiet. You do not get the hall noise like on other ships. The doors are recessed and open out. I wish that they have different itineraries.
We were advised by Captain Patrik In St Thomas that a storm was forming and he would advise us. We would leave St Maarten and hug the coast of Cuba and go behind Sandy. He thought Thursday would be rough and that Friday should be nice. We had rain showers on both days, but not rough as we had 50 MPH head winds. They had sea sickness bags in the stair cases. On Friday night, we had very rough seas. We were in a balcony over the Central Park, about 650 feet behind the bow and we felt the vibration of the waves on the bow. Some in the front had to have a really bad night. The Captain said this is the ship to be on in the rough seas. What he did not say is that this ship has the biggest bow area to hit a giant wave
Give the Oasis or Allure a try! Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Central Park view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 10 10233