Nieuw Amsterdam 3

“The deluxe verandah suite has no added value”
Cruise review of Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam

Sirdouglas01
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

HAL could not take my luxery cruise to the last 5-10% to make it what they claim it is.

The concept of a cruise and a world wind tour of Europe was appealing to me and I did have an excursion almost every day. The conceriage on board was dedicated to the penthouses and deluxe suites. He was about as useless a tits on a bull. Let's just call him Worst for now. Out of 7 requests to the Neptune lounge, 6 equests had to be followed up on with a phone call. I ended up doing most things myself. The value to have laundy service, the crappy Neptune lounge and Worst is not there. You would be better off paying for the extra laundry service and booking a superior suite, it's just a little smaller.

HAL's Internet has no value either. They charge by the minute and with the slow speeds, they're gone before you know it. The FCC shoud regulate this and make them charge by the data transfered like wireless companys. This is only good for simple emails.

I won a free drink at More a poolside dance party but could only have beer, wine, or water. HAL is so cheap that they can't serve me a drink; maybe the white Russian I asked for? This set the tone for the cruise.

There was no explaination for anything, I had to figure it out on my own. No warm welcome here, just treated like a sheep. Baaaaaaaaaa!

The Tamerind was over rated and I walked out before service after they embarrassed my wife and they sat us by the bus station. The manager came running down to the Manhattan to apologize. And who serves soup in a big bowl with a small spoon? Every time I dipped into the bowl with the spoon my hand hit the side. They might want to rethink this combo.

The cabin stewards, Manhattan dining room, photo studio, and pinnacle grill personnel were the best. No problems there. I did buy $2600 worth of photos, a wine package, 3 bottles of $90 champagne and a bottle of Dom; but who cares?

Le Cirque was over-rated and I cancelled the second reservation. Someone should tell them that the lobster salad isn't gourmet and the chicken was really salty, julienne vegetable don't automatically make it gourmet. The menu is limited and the Pinnacle grill had better food.

The deluxe veranda suite is already worn and is reminiscent of a mobile home. I'm in the Barcelona Hilton and the accommodations and service dwarf that of HAL's. Not attitudes here..........

This cruise was sold a Mediterranean romantic cruise:
1. Who brings their kids on a romantic cruise? (hillbillies, euro trash, and glopnicks)
2. Why didn't HAL uphold the dress code for the day? Shorts, tennis shoes, and soccer Jerzies on formal night, really?
3. 4 people to a nighttime gondola ride in Venice? Really? The HAL rep had an attitude with me when I tried to get a separate gondola. I said, " I don't need to argue with you, I sure there 's someone higher up who cares." I did get a gondola for two but he then had a chip on his shoulder the next day. Boo-Hoo.....

If I decide to go on another cruise I will not book HAL. Less

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Neptune Suite with Verandah

SA7076
The delux verandah suite is not worth the money. Get a superior and spend a few dollars for laundry service. The concierage was useless and that was it for the difference, nothing special for the money.

Delphi Walking Tour
You need to take this tour and get out of town. Athens is dirty and disgusting, they need to clean it up.

I will be returning and staying at the Hilton, very nice place and very friendly......

Port
Stay away they'll spit in your food. I would just stay on the ship.....
Read 299 Kotor Reviews

Published 10/31/12

Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?