Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by CoffeeGoddess: Short and Close for a First Time Cruise

CoffeeGoddess
Member Since 2012

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Inspiration Mexican Riviera Cruises

Short and Close for a First Time Cruise

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I've never cruised before but I've certainly enjoyed some good vacations. However, for our tenth anniversary I wanted to try something different. Having used up a good portion of my vacation days for other travel in earlier in the year, I wanted to do something that would only take up one day so I searched for a short round trip cruise at the closest port to Las Vegas. The Carnival 3 day to Ensenada fit the bill so I booked a Grand Suite.

We wound up getting a call for a chance to purchase an upgrade to one of the "owner suites" and I took it. Our suite was S-1 and it was on the Starboard side of the boat on level 12 looking over the pool. The suite itself was nice, but you could hear the joggers on the track above, the scraping of the deck chairs above as well, and the noise from the atrium came right through the door but thankfully did not make it into the bedroom. However, the large balcony, openness, and size of the suite made up for it.

The room was cleaned More up twice each day and our room service was delivered quickly after it was ordered. The pool wasn't filled on the first day but one hot tub was opened on the Lido and both were open on the Serenity deck. The water slides were also open and fun. I think our most expensive drink was a little under 9.00 with the tip included. I've certainly spent much more here in Vegas for one drink.

Having read many reviews in preparation, I knew to expect that food would be fairly standard and that there would be a lot of drinking for this type of cruise. While the food review was dead on, there weren't very many drunken people staggering around the ship on this cruise. There also weren't very many children at all, which was nice.

The one port, Ensenada, that we visited was basically a tourist dive. We did get a good lunch there and I picked up cheesy souvenirs for my family. We didn't do any excursions because nothing really appealed to us. A tip though, the shuttle operators to the shopping area offered their own tours that were much less expensive than the ships. Many people took them up on them so if you don't want to book through the ship, you can always do that option. Another tip, the shuttles drop you off at a place that isn't right at the main shopping area. You need to walk about a block in a kind of sketchy area to get there.

All in all, it was a nice vacation. I definitely plan to cruise again, although our next one will most likely be on another line. Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Inspiration Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Inspiration Suite Upper

S-1 on Deck 12 - This is one of the "Owner Suites" that they don't actually show on any booking page. Apparently they call people who have booked the GS rooms to offer one of these to them for an additional cost. The room was large, nicely furnished, but a little out of date. The jetted tub took forever to fill up since they had a small faucet for it. The shower was also in the tub, not in a separate enclosure even though there was room for it. There were multiple stains on the carpet and the chairs had some wear. The large balcony had two lounge chairs and two straight back chairs but had a life boat right below it so you did not get a clear view down to the ocean. However, it was still very relaxing. The main complaint about this room would be the noise from both the deck above and the atrium. The joggers could definitely be heard as they went around the track, some louder than others. That wasn't as bad as when people would scrape the deck chairs that are also on the deck above. Thankfully this didn't happen at night and only started at about 6am for the jogging. I had brought ear plugs anyways since my husband snores so I only heard the noises after I removed them and slept through them. The atrium noises come right up through the suite door and you can hear everything in the living area. If you had people staying with you and they were sleeping in the living area, they'll ant to bring ear plugs as well. However, the noise did not carry into the bedroom, even with the door open.

Read 246 Ensenada Reviews