Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by Liv2Cruiz: Sensation could have been more Sensational

Liv2Cruiz
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Sensation Bahamas Cruises

Sensation could have been more Sensational

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I am not a destination cruiser. I cruise for the fun on the ship and the people I am going with. I like cruising because I only unpack once and I get to do things I never would do on land.

This cruise was with my sister (LS). This was her first cruise and she had a boot on her foot from foot surgery.

Boarded at Port Canaveral. These people were great. LS had a boot and any time we encountered a person they offered a wheelchair or went out of their way to make our boarding easier. LS joked that she should wear the boot every time she got on a ship.

Room was M10. My first port hole room. I will be booking these from now on. This was also my first time at the front of the ship instead of the center. I loved it. The extra motion rocked me to sleep at nite. The port hole was neat because you could crawl up in the window and look out.

The entertainment staff was good. Jimmy (Cruise Dir) was funny and welcoming anytime you saw him. The staff More running the trivia were engaging. Learning the dances seemed rushed.

I ate in the MDR for dinner and breakfast (most mornings). The food was good. The fish was awesome! We named our table the 'invisible table' because none of the wait staff seemed to be aware of us unless they had to deal with us. We watched as others who arrived later would be served first. One night, we arrived early and were getting our deserts 15 minutes before the next sitting. I ate at Lido for lunches. I do not bother with hamburgers or the Wok as these are experiences I can have off ship. Lunches on lido were fair.

Overall, I enjoyed the cruise: what is not to like when you don't have to cook, clean, or work. I enjoyed the porthole and forward placement of the cabin and will do this again.

My complaint was about quality of customer care and centered around communication. At the Muster, they never made it clear that if there were a real emergency, you should report to your 'Muster Station" and not to the Fantasia lounge. I had to clarify this for several first timers. LS and I searched for two days asking six crew members and visiting three different places on the ship for the "sushi bar". For the record--it doesn't exist: ignore the map and don't look for it. Finally, disembarkation was not clearly communicated. I am a veteran so I knew what to do re: contraband, the customs form, etc. I again helped several first timers because they came away from the Disembarkation Talk confused.

I have two recommendations for Carnival and forwarded this on my eval:

First, at Charleston they do silent disembarkation. It is a much more pleasant experience and should move it to other ships.

Second, we live in a digital age: save the planet and stop developing every picture you take. Put up screens and let us select what we want and then print.

Third, have the Sensation staff brush up on customer service and learn their boat. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Interior Empress M10

M10. Porthole room. Standard space. Great,especially if you like some motion. Some engine noise as pull into and leave port but not bad--we slept through the exiting the port at 1am.

The straw market was average. I think next time may find a taxi to take us on a tour of the island or just stay on the boat and enjoy the day.
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

I love this port though I do the same thing everytime I go. This time I was first off the ship. Walked the half mile to the Hilton and paid 55 for the day on the beach. WAS AWESOME as usual. Clean and minimally populated beach. Towels provided. 35 worth of food vouchers (more than enough for a meal and two mixed drinks). The turkey burger and fish of the day were both excellent.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews