Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by clili: Adriatic Cruise October 2012

Adriatic Cruise October 2012

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We sailed with a party of six on the 11 night Adriatic Cruise from Rome to Venice. It was very port intensive, with 12 ports (including embarkation in Rome and ending in Venice) which we loved. Yes, sea days are a nice break (and there was one) but when I go to Europe I want to see unique, beautiful places and this cruise certainly accomplished that!

The very best thing about this ship is its staff. There was not one staff member that did not greet me as I walked by and inquire after my well being. In every venue, public area and stateroom area, the staff made me feel like an honored guest. (It was a different story in the spa, but I learned they are contract workers, not directly employed by Celebrity and it shows! I cannot recommend the spa.) We prepaid our gratuities and were warned that, without incentive, the staff could be lax. Not so on the Silhouette. I cannot imagine being treated any better...I just cannot say enough about how good the entire staff was. We tipped More many people above our prepaids. They were that exceptional.

The ship was spotless. Once I approached a beverage center where a guest had just left a used spoon and three staff members swooped in, one to whisk away the spoon, one to clean the area and one to pour my coffee.

(The actual coffee was the weak link on the ship...it became a game with my group to find a decent cup...we complained to many people, even one of the ship's officers, but they just could not seem to get brewing a decent cup of coffee right. I will drink coffee reheated in a microwave so I am not that picky, the coffee was really that bad. There is a coffee area on deck 7 with a different type of coffee maker--self adjusting--that was consistently good. It became more and more popular as the cruise went on.)

The Grand Cuvee was fine dining at its best every night. The menu was varied and interesting. The food was consistently good. Our party of six ate there every night. Other people we met on the cruise raved about the up-charge dining, but we really did not see how we could have a better experience than in the Grand Cuvee. It was exceptional.

The entertainment offered a little bit of everything, with big shows, classical musicians, comedians and a magician. There was so much offered it was hard to see everything. Even in the lounges and bars the entertainment was good, from the bartender/juggler in the martini bar to a young man who played classical guitar in the Ensemble lounge, there was something for every one's enjoyment.

We found our stateroom (deck nine balcony room) to be pretty standard compared to other cruise lines. Also the ship itself, while lovely, was also comparable to other cruise line large class ships.

What sets this ship apart is the staff. We mentioned this to one of the officers and he said they start with hiring good people, train them well and treat them well. It's a winning combination. We will definitely cruise Celebrity again and recommend this ship and this cruise in particular. We can't wait! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Panorama Deck (9)

cabin 9232...balcony room...vista view unobstructed, looking down at lifeboats. Stewards used area outside of our room as their staging area. It was not problem for us because we were up and off the ship early, but I would not pick this room again because it was tiring to walk out right into the steward and/or his cart everyday.