Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by loco1969: Good & Bad

Good & Bad

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

We were on the Carnival Fascination from October 13th thru October 18th. Overall, we had a great time. This was our second cruise but my first time experiencing sea sickness. The water was very choppy on our first night at sea, it was extremely difficult to walk without stumbling into someone. Past Fascination cruiser and even some of the crew members said that it was the worst that they had experienced. We still had some rockiness on the following days but no where near how it was one the first night.

Our cabin was much smaller than it was on the Legend, I guess since it's a smaller ship. The food in the dining room was good and our waiters and bar staff in the Imagination Dining Room were awesome; however the staff for breakfast or lunch in the Sensation wasn't as good. The food everywhere on the Lido deck except the Mongolian Grill was comparible to a Golden Corral, but I don't really expect much better for any buffet; the Mongolian was good but the lines were always More extremely long.

The shows were ok, the break dancers in "Far From Over" were awesome but the rest of the dancers need to work on their choreography and I've heard better singers at talent shows.

My daughter had a blast on the slides at water works which were surprisingly never packed, she also enjoyed Camp Carnival but I felt that the staff was no where near as good as it was on the Legend; they just seemed to be there to collect a check. That's pretty much how we felt about most of the staff on this ship. The dining staff, Fernando, Francisco, Rolando and Davis and our cabin steward, Joe, were the only ones that actually seemed to be trying to get a tip.

The shopping specialist, Taryn, was anything but. The only shops that she knew about in port are the ones that Carnival has a deal with; I asked her if there was a Pandora store in Nassau and she said that she did not know. There is one on Bay Street inside John Bull as well as one at the Marina Shops on Paradise Island. I bought a coupon organizer during the shopping show on the ship specifically for a free necklace that we were supposed to get; the shop that was giving them out said that they ran out of them weeks ago and offered me earrings instead, I don't wear earrings because of an allergy. I told Taryn about this and the only thing that she tried to do to correct it was offer me a cheap metal ship charm. She was very nonchalant about the whole thing.

Half Moon Cay was absolutely beautiful and I want to go back there but not on the Fascination. Nassau really didn't impress me at all, it seemed very dirty for a major port city and there were way too many people trying to hussle us!!

I will definitely cruise Carnival again because I feel for our budget and with having a young child, they are our best option, but I don't think I would cruise on this ship again! Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fascination Oceanview Main M135

Our cabin was in a very good location, we weren't bothered by too much outside noise; it was smaller than I expected though since I only had the Legend to compare it too but since we didn't spend too much time there aside from sleeping it was fine. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic!

Absolutely gorgeous island!!! We spent most of the day at the beach just swimming and relaxing. We did try some snorkling on our own but didn't see much, I think we needed a better location. The bar-b-q lunch was ok, nothing spectacular about it. I definitely want to go back to this island!

We didn't book an excursion for this port, after doing some research online we decided to just go it our own. We took the no. 10 jitney, which is about a 10 minute walk from the ship to Ardastra Zoo, it's a short walk from where they drop you off to the zoo. The zoo was small but it had a pretty decent collection of animals, the kids had a great time at the march of the flamingos, they got to go into the ring to do their best flamingo pose. After the zoo we went to Fort Charlotte which is on the way back to the bus stop, our guide was ok, he seemed like a recording and even though we paid an admission fee he wanted a tip, we gave him one, but I didn't really feel as though he deserved it for a quick 5 to 10 minute tour. We spent some time walking around the open areas ourselves. There are some really good views from the fort. After the fort we walked over to the fish fry area and went to Goldie's because we all wanted to try conch. We got the seafood platter and me, my husband and 7-year old daughter all ate from it. It came with fried conch, fried grouper, fried shrimp and three sides (we had plantains, cole slaw and fries). We did not like the conch, too chewy for our taste but the grouper and shrimp were amazing!! If we ever go back I would have them leave the conch off. After we ate, we took the jitney back to town. The driver was actually headed the opposite way but turned around and picked us up, he also gave the kids each a Bahamian 10 cent piece. It was a quick ride back to town but he talked to us the entire time. Once we were back in town, we went to the Pirate Museum, which we all enjoyed. It was very informative and we all enjoyed it. We then walked back to the ship, stopping at some shops for our free stuff and some souveniers along the way. My only complaints about Nassau is that it was very dirty, I expected it to be cleaner and we were hassled a LOT by taxi drivers, people wanting to braid our hair, sell us jewelry, etc... If I walk by you and ignore you, don't follow me because I don't want what you are selling!
Read 2607 Nassau Reviews