Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by JMCruising: First Time Cruisers on The Ecstasy

JMCruising
Member Since 2012

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Ecstasy Bahamas Cruises

First Time Cruisers on The Ecstasy

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

We decided to take our first cruise for our 5Th wedding anniversary. I have never been on a ship so we opted to do a shorter cruise to see if I could handle it. Four days was not enough!

We had priority embarking due to booking the GS. It was fast and painless. The regular lines did not look bad either.

I had of course read many reviews on here beforehand. I took everything with a grain of salt. That being said, some of the negatives were correct to a point. The dreaded SMELL! We smelled it a few times the first day while exploring in passing. We just kept walking. On deck 3 where you go to get off for the ports, the smell was horrible. But we were there for 5 minutes. Not enough to ruin our day! Our room had no smell.

The first night we had room service and it was very good. We also did breakfast all 3 ways. The buffet was by far the winner. The omelets were great and no bacon police that I saw! The room service breakfast was fine. The dining room breakfast More was slow and they didn't get my order right at all. Lesson learned. Sticking with the buffet for breakfast. We ate in the dining room three nights. We had any time dining and ate in the Wind Star. Martin was our waiter and he was fantastic. we never waited for service. Our glasses were always full of water and as soon as we were done with one course, the next one arrived. We enjoyed all the food. It was tasty and presented at an acceptable temperature. And that warm chocolate melting cake was super yummy! Lunch we usually hit the buffet or grill. Lines were a little long for the grill but nothing more than a busy restaurant at lunch time. Don't be discouraged by the lines! They always move at a pretty good pace.

We were on our first vacation.. EVER. So we didn't do a whole lot. My husband experienced some sea sickness the first night and we didn't want to venture out to much. We pretty much relaxed in the room and I on the balcony. Didn't see any shows, didn't participate in any trivia games, didn't use the pool. We just hung out and explored and loved the view. I guess we are port people. From the muster drill the entertainment staff seems fun though! Maybe next time I will experience some of these events without the hubby. The Lido Deck always had great music playing and lots of fun happening. I did go to the casino. It was my first time and I spent $4 on slots. I am cheap what can I say?

Our room was great and so was our steward George. We had an electrical problem where all our lights didn't work and George had the electrician in there and the lights fixed on a short trip to the buffet! All the staff on the ship were friendly and more than willing to help.

So, would I sail the Ecstasy again? Absolutely! I was on vacation and loved every second of it. Going to try a longer cruise for next year. We are close to Port Canaveral so we might just hop on the Ecstasy for a quick rest! Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy Suite Upper U80

THe cabin was spacious. Balcony was great. I wish the bottom rail was see-through like on the extendeds though. It is solid white. Only noise we heard was people running up and down the halls which made very loud stomping noises. Peopl are people. View is great. Kind of a long haul to get to food and such being on deck 6.

Beach Break

(5)
This was the highlight of our entire cruise. I would recommend this excursion to anyone. The bus ride to the Garden of the Groves (where the ATV trek starts) was informative and fun thanks to David the driver. It was about 45 minutes to get there. The ATV riding was about an hour and a half. You go through trails and then to Chloe's point to stop for scenic pictures. Mario the ATV guide makes you feel comfortable. We had different experienced riders and everyone went their own pace and had fun. The gardens were ok. You get an hour there. It's pretty. The beach break is at Junkanoo Beach and it is a nice beach. We had a little to eat and some drinks and then just enjoyed the breeze. FYI, there are jet ski's you can rent there. This is a long excursion. 5.5 hours. We were only in Freeport from 8-5 and the excursion started at 10. But Freeport seems nice and they are building a Senor Frogs right there on the pier. I didn't think Freeport was too industrial and thought it was beautiful.

Snorkeling

(4)
We did the Catamaran and snorkeling. The boat ride was a little long but fun. It was cloudy and the seas were a little rough when we were in the water. Our pics didn't come out too good but not the excursions fault! The reef is pretty simple. There are plenty of fish to see, but mostly the same few types. It was my first time snorkeling so I loved it. And the rum punch is rum with a splash of punch! We also went to Senor Frogs. What a character that place is. A constant party and you cant help but have fun. I did not like the straw market at all. I felt uncomfortable and didn't want to even look to buy anything. Just went in and out. Nassau seems like a nice place even if a little crowded.