Island Princess Cruise Review by writedesign

Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: BE
Cabin Number: E701
See More About: Island Princess Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Island Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Island Princess Deck Plans
Fortunate to Get to Enjoy This Wonderful Cruise
Super cruise. Ship clean, lots of activities, and rarely appears crowded. Was expecting an older crowd but found it largely 'my age.' That's scary. No smoking policy works great for me.

Food: As always, wait staff attentive tho overworked. The food was excellent. Appetizers varied from chicken wings to escargot. Dinner varied from comfort food to frog legs. Hand sanitizer use required in buffet. Buffet service good, seating often crowded and requires doubling up. It was easy to make reservations for anytime dining, and I didn't ever see too long a line for those w/o reservations.

Entertainment: We attend all the shows we can. The production numbers were reruns and not a good as larger ships, but excellent. The comedians were exceptional. 'Arni G' was the evening lounge player and he was so terrific, wish I could spend more time. Our favorite is the Crew Show. This was scheduled badly, 10pm the last night, in the Universe Lounge. It is true that there are many seats in this lounge (esp balcony) that you can't see the stage.

The naturalist, William Fall, was often a sell-out crowd. No nonsense, no book to sell ... just knowledgeable.

Rooms: Ample room, lots storage. Shower is tight. If you drop the soap, shower is over. Beds are hard. Compare them to lying on a sleeping bag on a carpeted floor. Our balcony was particularly large-- loved it. We were traveling with another couple and kept the door between balconies propped open and made for quality time w smuggled liquor. Princess is liberal on bringing liquor aboard and I appreciate. Husband brought his favorite beer and I brought a bottle booze. Note: I'm a fan of the Emerald Deck. Usually lowest priced, quick access to public areas. But I've suspected the best tables are saved for the best rooms (not Emerald) and here's an example: We showed up at our reserved time. The Maitre D apologized for a need to wait, hurried away and scanned the starboard side, came back, apologized again, scanned the port side, apologized, said follow me, and personally escorted us to a table. Except table wasn't set up yet. The waiter had to rush to get it ready. He pointed to a perfectly set up table next to the window. The Maitre D said 'No, I haven't decided what to do with that table yet.' Within 5 minutes, he had decided and was seating another party, with a better room number I'm sure.

Merchandising: I'm retired marketing so can't help this. The drink of the day runs $7.95, which made me think they were all pricey. In reality, beer is $4.50; a long island ice tea was $5.50+ tip. Not bad. Formal photos are $24.99 ea. They should have buy 4 get 1 free. Candid pics are $19.99 ea. A day is coming when you enter your key to see pics rather than printing all those pics. Such good photography!! I've never had a problem with Princess upselling. A No to wine or water or spa is simple enough-- they've almost cut back too much, esp w hard to research shore excursions. I-net painfully slow-- Just logging onto email took about 5 minutes. Oh, library needs books on countries we are visiting, esp birds & wildlife.

Ports: Cabo -- too hot, humid, town wasn't open for season yet, merchants aggressive. Puntarenas - My favorite, took the exceptional Sky Walk-Pura Vida Garden tour. Great guide, good food, saw lots of critters. Fuerte Amador: Went to Gamboa Rainforest Tram and found is lacking compared to Costa Rica. Did have great view of canal, even Embera Village, and nice fill visit to orchid, butterfly, aquarium. Port terminal had small mall great for picking up souvenirs. Canal was very interesting. Secret back deck was never crowded. I heard the upper decks were but when I went there later, not bad. Cartagena: Terminal has pricey store w no USD prices, but a great mini-zoo of iguanas, flamingo, toucan, macaws, monkeys, many wild roaming. We (2 couples) negotiated a taxi to Old Town, hotbed of history & culture. They like round trips and this proved an adventure. We had good driver 'Freddy' who took us there, gave us a private tour, drove us back. Merchants are aggressive, there was poverty and beggers and attractive ladies (let's leave it at that). Freddy wanted $15, but we paid $20 each way. Aruba - Clean, walkable, no outward poverty. Iguanas running all over. Ft. Lauderdale: If you have down time before airport, or you're staying at local hotel, I recommend a trip to Sawgrass for an airboat ride. They pick you up, store luggage, come back to take you to destination. We privately arranged thru KSA and it solved a lot of problems plus lots of fun.

Publication Date: 10/23/12