Carnival Legend Cruise Review by pattyk13: Great time on the Legend

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great time on the Legend

Sail Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

We've sailed on Royal Caribbean as well. In some ways it was obvious that Carnival is the cheaper option, buffets aren't always available, the entertainment was a little hokey, and the cruise director seemed most interested in getting us to buy things. However, the food was much better than Royal and our cabin was bigger even though we had a balcony on Royal (interior this time). I liked hearing the water at night, and waking in the dark was a little disorienting at first, but since we spent most of our time on deck it was worth it to save the money. For the most part the drinks weren't any more expensive than most restaurants, and you can bring one bottle of wine per person which also keeps that cost down.

This cabin is handicapped accessible, which I had not realized at the time. That may be why it was so much larger than I expected, including the bathroom. This cabin is underneath the bridge and above the children's space, but we had no problems with noise. Lots of More closet space, but I would bring hangers and those boxes that fold flat for using on the shelves. The drawers they did have were very small.

The Serenity, adult only, space was also much nicer than what we had on Royal Caribbean. That one was inside with windows. This was on a deck at the back of the ship so lots of sun with shade for those who wanted it.

I liked Carnival quite a bit, pizza was always available when the buffets were closed and the ship itself was comfortable and easy to get around on. Staff were very helpful and they organized the tender exits well. I'd sail them again. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Interior Empress 6102

This cabin is handicapped accessible, which I had not realized at the time. That may be why it was so much larger than I expected, including the bathroom. This cabin is underneath the bridge and above the children's space, but we had no problems with noise. Lots of closet space, but I would bring hangers and those boxes that fold flat for using on the shelves. The drawers they did have were very small. Having no window made waking in the dark a little disconcerting, but worth it to save the money and spend it elsewhere. Being at the front of the ship we always had to walk to the other end for food, but with so much of it available the extra exercise was probable worth it!

We took an excursion here through Carnival, the Xunantunich ruins with lunch included. It's a four hour round trip but worth it, the guides were very informative and we learned a lot about Belize as well as the Mayan culture. The ruins themselves were impressive and the lunch was local (rice and beans with chicken) I would have liked to have done Lamanai because you travel partway by boat but that was not available through Carnival and I left the online booking too late. Carnival subcontracted to Chukka (time to play!) which I would recommend.

We did not take one of the excursions and had intended to go to El Cid (walking distance from the port) and pay $15 each to use their facilities for swimming and snorkeling. We wound up walking through the downtown area and further, finding a nice little boutique hotel that let us use their facilities as long as we spent $12 each. Had no problem walking around, felt safe, and it was nice to walk along the coastline. The snorkeling along the breakwall by the hotel was surprisingly good. We had our own snorkeling equipment.
Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Stingray Swim

(5.5)
This was fantastic. We negotiated a price with several operators after getting to port and it was worth the trouble. Stingray city is amazing and Native Ways took us to two different places to snorkel afterwards. Great deal and the boat operators were great. Even if you don't like snorkeling, you can do just Stingray City which is just over waist deep. They have equipment, but we had our own. And they have life jackets if you are nervous.

We decided to go off resort in Roatan so that we could see Honduras instead of just another resort. Carnival offers a shuttle for $20pp that goes to a public beach about 20 minutes away. It's a public beach, so keep your expectations low. Some of our fellow travelers were disappointed, but again .. it's a public beach so no fancy white sand or pretty cabanas. What you get is some pretty decent snorkeling, local food, and cheap beer. We had lunch at Cindy's place, but if I'd seen it sooner we would have gone to the Cannibal Cafe. There is a restaurant on the beach that will let you use their shower in exchange for buying their beer. We also spent some time on resort, which is gorgeous. Don't bother with the chairlift unless you have some walking problems. The beach is a 5 minute walk from the pier.
Read 1642 Roatan Reviews