Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Likeness: Despite opening day, we all had a great time!

Likeness
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Despite opening day, we all had a great time!

Sail Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

My husband and I had been on many cruises before, this being my fifth Carnival cruise, I pretty much knew what to expect. We got off to a rough start with parking and embarkation. EZ Cruise parking was not the easiest to work with that day. The whole parking ordeal was about an hour and involved sitting in lines, being shuffled to another lot, no AC on the bus, more lines to terminal and not being let out in front but at the opposite end of the terminal.

Embarkation was about as bad, only longer. Long line to check get to check in, about an hour. Another line to registration desk to get Sign and Sail card, another hour. Sit and wait for boarding group number to be called. Another 30 minutes. We started at noon and got on the ship at almost four and time to sail. Muster was way too long, hot and packed in like sardines. I had to get air before I passed out. Not good.

CABIN: I loved our cabin. The location was handy to dining room, casino. Our steward was More never visible and always left our cabin in spotless condition with everything taken care of and some well done animals. Especially loved the hanging monkey this time! The only complaints was a defective TV set. After several calls, they replaced it with a better one that worked. They need to update to flat screens. The balconies could also use a cleaning. If you take a shower during busy times, the temp of the shower fluxuates between scalding hot and warm to cold.

FOOD: We ate in the dining room except for a couple of times at breakfast. The lines to the buffet were always way too long. If they would set up stations instead of cafeteria style lines, that would solve the line problem. I don't understand why they don't do that??? The food was really good most of the time. Our group enjoyed our nightly dinners in the dining room. P and his helpers were fantastic! They gave us excellent service. We had a group cocktail hour one evening in the Hollywood Lounge that was great fun. My husband and I had burgers at the back of the ship a couple of times and they were excellent. They also have great deli sandwiches during certain times of the day. We tried those once.

ENTERTAINMENT: We went to one show and did not like it. We played bingo a couple of times and won $40 on the pull tabs. We loved Frank the piano player in The Big Easy. He is great! They had a very good band outside of the casino too. I LOVED the casino. I liked the machines as they allowed you to play without taking your money too quickly. I play for fun and like to play when the machines actually go into some bonus rounds, which these do. Doesn't matter that I don't win a lot of even lose. This is the best casino I have ever seen on a ship.

EXCURSIONS: We don't usually do ship excursions.

OVERALL: This ship is well cared for by it's crew. The service on this ship is excellent and everyone is helpful and in great spirits. The food is really good compared to other lines that we have been on. It is an excellent value for the money.

DEBARKATION: Not bad at all. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Empress 7342

Our cabin was close to mid ship elevators. It made for easy access to the casino and our dining room. There are three closets. One has a shelf and contains that safe, linens and life jackets. The other two allowed us each to have our own closet, which was nice. The bathroom is adequate with a great cabinet and under sink shelf. The shower is a good size. One thing that was bad is the fluctuation of the water temps in the shower during peak shower times. One minutes it is cold and the next, scalding hot. There is a leather couch in the room for sitting and an adjustable table to set things on like room service. There is desk and dressing table along one wall. It has three big drawers and a cabinet with shelves. I loved the dressing table stool. We always bring a power strip so we have plenty of plug ins. The beds are OK. I would say the mattresses are in need of changing. I think this ship is due for upgrades in 2014. The TV was changed while we were there, but they really need flat screens. I like to watch TV at night. They have a few channels that are not ship channels, but I noticed that TNT was not working which is my fav channel. We ordered first run movies. Also good for checking your sign and sail account. Our cabin was very quiet and the steward was not visible, which I like. He did an excellent job. The ice machine is right across the hall.

In Cozumel, we hired Roger the taxi driver. He took us over to our favorite spot at Chen Rio on the eastern shore. They have the best beach and BIG FRIED FISH. Roger stayed with us until we were ready to go back to the ship. He is reasonable as well. Ask for him at the terminal taxi stand.
Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews

In Progreso, we took the free bus into town. The bus terminal is at the flea market and right outside of the flea market is shopping on the streets. There is a little shop there that sell goods from Guatemala that helps the school children. They offer great purses, wallets, clothes, masks, etc. at very good prices. Also ask the owner where to go for lunch. He will steer you in the right direction.
Read 283 Progreso Reviews