Disney Wonder Cruise Review by justluv2cruisewithhubby: Disney Wonder Pixar Sailing

justluv2cruisewithhubby
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder USA Cruises

Disney Wonder Pixar Sailing

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This is our 10th cruise but first on Disney, overall I would rate the cruise a B+ there were many pros and few cons. I will highlight them in the review.

We do not have kids and at first was concerned about all the children on board however it was not bad at all. Children normally would be seen in large numbers when it came time for character pictures. Daily they would have scheduled character photos and hundreds of kids with their parents would line up. I liked this photo opportunity however the downside was it was always at the wrong times. It was scheduled many times at 5:30pm and the first sit down dinner was at 5:45pm with the large lines we'd never make dinner. The second photo opportunity would come at 7:30pm and the nightly show would start at 8pm, again if we wanted to wait in long lines we'd miss a good chunk of the entertainment. So we did not get a chance to take many photos with the characters here only once did we get a chance to see Mike and Sully from More "Monsters" and took a photos with them. I do want to mention that Disney does schedule a character breakfast which is great, you sit and wait for: Mickey, Mini, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale to arrive at your table and they will use your personal cameras to take photos of you and all these characters. We took advantage of this and had a lot of fun.
We had in inside cabin 6053 and it was a sideways cabin, very spacious and great layout, perfect floor. Largest inside cabin compared to Royal, Princess, Holland, and Carnival. The cabin had a full coach not a love seat, plenty of storage and a large closet as well as a desk and bench. I loved this cabin, there was only one downfall to the cabin which was the bathroom. It was the smallest we'd ever seen; in order to use the toilet or shower we had to shut the door. The only nice thing about the small bathroom is it had a tub.

The staff was very friendly; our room steward was very nice as well as our waiter and his assistant. However this is the first cruise where they never addressed us by our name. They would always say sir or maam. This may seem like a small point however in our previous 9 cruises the room steward along with the waiter would always call us by our name.

Food and Beverage: The food on this Disney cruise was not that good. Compared to previous cruises I would rate it the lowest for food quality. The menu choices were poor and the flavor and taste lacked flavor. Sit down lunch was better because there were less people and the food was cooked to order for a smaller crowd. The soft drinks such as lemonade, ice tea and soda were all free which is a nice treat if you are a soda drinker. Warning...if you are a coffee drinker do not drink the coffee on deck 9 that is Nescafe liquid coffee it is not brewed, the coffee is already in liquid form and in a box inserted in the machine, it tastes awful. For a good cup of coffee you need to order it in the dining room or room service. If you want to spend money at the Cafe it's the same price as Starbucks and tastes similar. Again if you want a good cup of coffee just wait till sit down breakfast, lunch or dinner to order one.
We did eat at "Palo" their specialty restaurant and the food was much better than the dining room, however I would not recommend spending the extra $20pp because this is the type of food quality we normally would receive in the sit down dining room on other cruise lines. However I would like to mention we did go to "Palo" brunch which is available on sea days and this was well worth the $20pp fee. You do receive one free mimosa and refills will cost you extra. They had Alaskan king crab as well as snow crab and other numerous items. There were so many different food choices, and very tasty.

I would like to acknowledge that the gym on board is smaller than what I'm use to however it worked well for us since many mornings the gym only had 6-8 people in there. I did like their shower and dressing areas right near the gym room the decor is orange (something out of the 70's) but they have good products for lotions, soap and cleanser they use Elemis which is very good.

The dress attire on Disney is very casual again not what I'm used to but that I can easily adapt to. The nice part about being so casual is if you're coming back from an excursion you don't have to rush to change your clothes to eat in the dining room. On formal night I did see a handful of men in tuxedos, maybe about 5 or so, most men wore dark suits. Woman had cocktail dresses and some gowns. Everyone who ate in the dining room looked very elegant.
Disney's Entertainment was very good their shows were not boring and kept our attention the entire time. They were not too long or too short, their Toy Story show was excellent and probably one of the best show's I've seen at sea. They offered new movies to view in their move theater such as "Frankenweenie" that was a nice treat since that just came out in the theaters at home. The movie theater is big and can seat a few hundred people however if your tall and have long legs the aisles are cramped and most likely your knees will hit the seat in front of you. The Pirate night theme which was held on Friday night was great, many passengers got all dressed up in their pirate attire (us included) and then the deck party and fireworks at 10:15pm which were amazing. Immediately following was a buffet with large turkey legs and deserts.

Our port of calls were San Francisco which we spent two days there, the weather was perfect. We sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge at 6:45am and it was a clear morning, a bit chilly about 60 degrees or so but it warmed up nicely to about 80 degrees later that day. We were able to spend the day site seeing with a friend of ours who lives there and she was able to drive us around all the scenic areas. On day two of San Francisco we took an Alcatraz tour which was a great experience and after spending ½ day there we walked around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39.

San Diego was a full day in port we've visited several times before and decided to tour the USS Maritime which was docked next door and only a block walk. Great experience touring that massive ship it takes about 2-3 hours to tour depending on how much you want to see.
Ensenada, we did their City tour and visited two wineries in town, not much really to see but we were able to taste test some wines and then spend 1.5 hrs in the city shopping.

If you are looking to do laundry on the ship there are three different laundry facilities there are at least 5 washers/dryers on deck 6, other decks that have laundry facilities have more. There were several washers that were broken during the week so it made it harder for others to do their wash. Disney only charges $1.00 to wash, $1.00 to dry and $1.00 if you need soap. Great deal, no need to bring quarters it all gets charged to your cabin.

Overall I did enjoy this cruise; there were a few downsides such as the coffee and food which was not enjoyable. Would I sail Disney again, probably not the Wonder...but maybe I would try the newer ship "Fantasy". Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck Two 6053

Loved the size of our inside cabin it was a sideways cabin and very spacious the largest inside cabin we've seen. Large closet and plenty of draws and cabinet for storage. Downside was the bathroom was too small (had to shut door to use it)