Carnival Legend Cruise Review by lorrieartiste

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Legend Cruise Review by lorrieartiste
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: lorrieartiste
Cruise Date: May 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: 4a
See More About: Carnival Legend Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean
Let me begin by saying that our cruise holiday was very enjoyable from start to finish. After reading about the nightmare of embarkation and debarkation, I was expecting long waits and impatient passengers. We experienced none of these "waits" nor were we witness of any impatient passengers. Embarkation out of New York with Carnival was actually organized and fast. We were on the ship and heading for lunch in the Unicorn Cafe within 1.5 hrs!

The suites on the Carnival Legend are spacious compared with older RCCL ships. And I was pleasantly delighted with the basket of goodies that Carnival provided to us located in our washroom area. You know things that we (or I) had forgotten such as a razor, some hair gel and the nice St. Ives cream I used for the eventual and nasty sunburn I acquired.

The food was very good on the ship. I would not say that I am fine dining expert, but being from Montreal, I have experienced a lot of exceptional cuisine and Carnival does it's utmost to please in this area. The food in the Cafe was hot and well prepared and the food in the dining room was very good as well.

Entertainment on a Carnival ship is superb and comparable to Las Vegas style entertainment. My husband, myself and my parents attended each and every show and enjoyed them tremendously.

Ports of Call

San Juan - Nothing to write home about. I was not really impressed. Could be because it was pouring rain. But, we took a small local tour and made the best of it. Visited El Morro, very historical and very nice. But, the rest...could have passed up.

St. Thomas - This port of call is simply breathtaking. There were two other cruise ships in port with us so it was a busy day! We took the advice of some friends and spent part of the day swimming and laying on the beach at Megan's Bay. The other half of the day was spent shopping and looking for those bargains and jewelry and liquor.

Tortola - Another nice port although not as nice as St. Thomas. It rained again that day, but we made the best of it and spent the day at the beach. This time it was with a booked tour through Carnival. The tour was not the greatest, but Carnival came through with a partial refund. We had no complaints about that one because even though the tour was not up to our expectations, we did receive a scenic hour long ride to the beach with picture stops both coming and going at half the tour costs!

Leaving Tortola we hit some weird weather. Winds of the to 75 mph, 18ft waves with swells of 22ft. We were rocking and rolling at 3 am! Let me tell you. I was not the only wife to wake up her husband that night! My husband was snoring away...going with the flow. I needed sea sickness meds...fell asleep 3.5 hrs later and woke up for breakfast at 9:30! Those comments about the Legend being a rocky ship and true. She way be built for speed because of her length. But were those stabilizers on?

Now for my one and only complaint. Not relating to the cruise line, the entertainment, or the embarkation/debarkation process. It's about my fellow cruisers. Why do some of you have to treat the crew like CRAP!. What is up with that? I cannot tell you how many times I witnessed passengers treating the crew like third class hired help. No wonder by the third or fourth day of the cruise the crew is looking cranky. If I was constantly getting yelled at for not doing things up to "your" standards, I would be looking a little worse for wear myself. These people are working 12 to 14 hour days. Give them a break...please!!!! And, don't criticize their English. They do their best to try and please you, so most of crew is not American so what????? Uggghhhh....this topic is a real monkey on my back. I hated witnessing every moment of this so called "crew abuse". I thought that they were very patient. Uggghhhh.....

Another thing about some passengers. When is ship designates areas for smoking, please stick to those areas. We non smokers do not appreciate inhaling you toxic fumes!

Last year we cruised out of Baltimore and I found the passengers to be extremely pleasant and classy. Hmmmmm.......

Publication Date: 07/25/05