Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by SoBlessed: Lovely and relaxing!

SoBlessed

Lovely and relaxing!

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We have cruised on the Celebrity Silhouette twice, and are booked for another on her next month. We are dedicated Celebrity patrons, and having discovered Aqua Class feel no urge to try another line. I am well aware that Aqua Class is a premium that others may not be able to afford, and am so grateful that it is within our means. But even before Aqua Class, we liked Celebrity best.

My husband and I lead ridiculously hectic, public lives and the great appeal of a cruise is the relative anonymity and private relaxation we can enjoy. For that reason, our number one priority is service. We want to be able to lounge about with good books and order endless virgin drinks without seeing a single person who knows us. Our great desire is a clean, appealing stateroom with a thoughtful attendant and waitstaff in the public areas who keep the refreshments coming.

FOOD:
We are fairly light eaters, and find the food in Blu to be very nice. Portions are too large for me, More though, and I can never manage dessert. Curses! Maitre d' drinks steward, wait staff were excellent. Remembered us after Day 1, knew what we liked and delivered it cheerfully.
I am not thrilled with the cafeteria upstairs, in terms of ambiance. Lots of people at certain times and most of the food pretty ordinary, but the staff up there are speedy and excellent, the views are magnificent, and there are certainly a ton of choices. But eating is not what gets us excited anywhere. Coffee does get us excited, and we adored Cafe Baccio. Fun and tasty delights. We always buy the non-alcoholic drinks package. Pencils out for us.

CABINS:
Our cabins are always fantastic. Plenty of storage, even for my husband who packs everything but a tent, "just in case." Our cabin steward this last time, Vivvie, was the best, ever.PUBLIC AREAS:
The Ocean View Cafe, referenced above, is well organized but lacks charm. We don't drink, so haven't seen much of the bars. The lawn area is wonderful, so pretty and relaxing with the added delight of people playing bocce for entertainment. Pool area tends to be crowded, but it's good for a dip, if a little busy for lounging. The library is wide-open to the lounge below, lots of terrible, intrusive noise. A huge, stupid design blunder, in the opinion of this bookworm. Restrooms everywhere, and they are luxurious and constantly attended by cleaners. Fantastic! Loved the amenities in the Aqua Spa area.

ON BOARD ENTERTAINMENT:
We don't need it and don't want it, with the exception of a few lectures. The Captain's lecture was great. The so-called "lecturer" who gave a number of talks about regional history and geography was dreadful. Absolutely full of codswallop, poorly prepared and just plain wrong about much of what he said. My husband is a distinguished university professor and I am a retired scientist. We could not believe how wretched he was. Appalling and unforgivable.

"EXTRAS":
Why would we pay a fee for luxury dining? Even the regular dining room is very good and Blu was marvelous. We wouldn't dream of paying extra. Then again, we are not big eaters. Lawn Club? Are you kidding? What's that about? Shore excursions that we made were well organized, enjoyable and well worth the price to avoid hassle. We paid for a "couple massage," and I thought it was mediocre. OK, but nothing special. Won't do it again. On board shopping? No interest to us.ALL-IN-ALL:
This is our go-to choice for a perfect vacation. Absolutely top notch in every way that matters to us, except for the library and the laughably bad lecturer. We have never felt gouged by add-ons. We simply do not buy what we do not want. The fact is that Celebrity has delivered for us every time. When we want or need extras, they have been provided smoothly and with smiles. I can hardly wait to cross the Atlantic next month! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>