Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by chiarch: Avoid this ship and seriously rethink using RCL.

chiarch
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Vision of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

Avoid this ship and seriously rethink using RCL.

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

We knew the Vision of the Seas was an older, smaller ship but were surprised at how poorly maintained it was. We experienced sewage smells in the hallways and elevator shafts for the first week of the cruise. Trim was falling from the ceiling and carpet curling to create tripping hazards. A large piece of granite fell at my mother's feet from the counter top in the buffet line with no apologies or excuses. We were repeatedly told that the ship was going into dry dock for refurbishing next year but obviously the cabins have not been touched since the ship was put into service. The satellite service on the ship was out the entire two weeks and the TVs in the rooms were terribly outdated. Our cabin's air conditioning didn't work the entire cruise and after two complaints to customer service nothing was ever done.
After calling the front desk for assistance on how to contact our cabin steward for things he had neglected to replace, I was told to walk the halls and look into open More doors to try and find him. This was the only way of contacting him.
The food in the dining room was the worst we had all experienced in all of our years of cruising. I sent bad fish back to the kitchen three times during one meal with my complaints falling on deaf ears. We finally were fed up with cold food at each meal for the first week and had to have the dining room manager retrieve our food from the kitchen to get warm food. The quality of the food was very disappointing. Meals were not as described on the menu and poorly prepared without seasoning. We all felt like we were in the way of the dining room attendants in the Windjammer Cafe. They never offering to assist handicapped guests nor offer refills on coffee or tea. We all felt very unwelcome.
The bar service was a huge disappointment as well. The bar staff was unaware of the bar menu placed on the tables and repeatedly over charged for drinks that were pointed out to them from their own menu. A bartender that refused to make a drink as requested was inexcusable. I brought my bar complaints to the attention of an officer and nothing was done about it.
The Cruise Director and staff were the worst I've ever experienced. Never approaching guests nor attempting to get guest involved in any activities. I can only assume that this staff was in training on a small ship or being punished for poor job performance.
This is a forgotten ship on a poorly run cruise line that should seriously be avoided at all costs. This was my worst cruise experience in 33 years. Less

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Vision of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Vision of the Seas 2623

Outdated furnishings and amenities. The mattresses were very old. Only one 110 outlet at the desk. The air conditioning in the room didn't work. Unable to sit square on the toilet without opening the bathroom door. Televisions in the room are old and mounted on metal trays that are dangerously sharp at the foot of the bed.

Santiago de Compostela

(2)
The excursion was a fair price but we had a guide that couldn't speak english every well and had a difficult time talking about the sites.