Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Idealist77

Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star
Member Name: Idealist77
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: IE
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Violation of Privacy
My husband and I cruised on the Norwegian Star from September 23rd to the 30th.

We had one major issue, as well as a few minor issues that not only ruined our entire vacation, but has also left both my husband and I with anxiety and a feeling of violation.

First and worst - My husband and I had retired to our state room before dinner. Our room had recently been cleaned and was on the yellow "Welcome" sign. We changed the sign to the red "Do not disturb," and locked our door. About a half an hour later one of the Norwegian staff members entered our room unannounced, without knocking, and completely disregarding the "Do not disturb" sign. At the moment she entered my husband and I were completely exposed and in an private and extremely intimate encounter. The stewardess was merely a few feet away from us, not only viewing us, but opening the door fully and exposing us to anyone everyone else who walked by. I was completely traumatized. We not only missed that evening show, but I couldn't bring myself to leave my stateroom for the evening or much of the following day. Even afterwards it was a highly embarrassing situation when we had to come into contact not only with our stewardess, but also all the other staff members who were brought in to be involved.

Stateroom - We were in room 4565. At around 3:30 the first night my husband and I woke to loud crashing behind our room. The sound was like someone throwing shopping carts up against the wall. We could also hear loud voices. We brought the issue to the attention of the staff and the noise subsided for the night. However, every night afterwards at around the same time we were awoken by the same loud banging. We continued to bring it to the attention of the front desk, but each night the same thing occurred. The area that was behind our room was a staff only area, and it was Norwegian crew making the noise. This was very frustrating and we barely slept the entire cruise.

Safety Deposit Box - Our safety deposit box kept breaking down and needed servicing three times. One time we missed the show we wanted to see because we had to wait forty-five minutes for someone to come down and fix it. Also, one time I came back to the room and the safe was wide open with my purse in it. I know for sure that I locked it, so either the safe defaulted and opened or someone came into the room and opened it when we weren't there.

Food - The food was poor quality in the main dining rooms and buffet. The biggest disappointment was that the menu was the same every lunch and dinner. They only way to get good food was to pay for the specialty restaurants for an extra $10 to $25 per person per meal.

The best part of our cruise were the three days that we were in Bermuda and got off the ship. My husband and I rented scooters and went to across to St. George and Hamilton, as well as all the breathtaking beaches.

Publication Date: 10/21/12