Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by DMAB: Boston to Quebec

Boston to Quebec

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

After a past mediocre NCL cruise on the Sun I hadn't planned on sailing with NCL again. Events overtook me and I had a very limited time frame in which to take a New England-Canada cruise. The only other cruise available was on HAL at about $1000 more for an equivalent cabin. I prefer HAL but not $1000 per person per week more.

After my last NCL cruise, this one on the Dawn was a pleasant surprise.

I arrived at the dock in Boston and was through check-in and in my cabin in 35 minutes.

The ship was in excellent condition, it looked to be recently refurbished but a crewman said it has been 2 years,

The cabin was comfortable and out cabin attendant Jerome was very helpful with a couple of special request we had.

Except for 2 dinners and one breakfast, every meal we ate on the ship was in the main dining rooms, nearly all in the Venetian dining room and one in the Aqua (same food as the Venetian). The food was without exception very good to More excellent. The meals were three course, appetizer, main course and desert, simpler than higher end cruise lines on average better food than I have had on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Serving sizes were small, about what a person should actually eat. More food was available for big eaters, you could order double servings. I didn't but I asked if you could.

We tried 2 of the specialty restaurants. The Teppanyaki is a small Japanese style restaurant (seats apx 22 people) where the chefs cook the food on a grill right in front of you. Food was excellent, the chefs also put on a very good show with their cooking.

The Moderno, a Brazilian style restaurant on the other hand was a waste of money. The restaurant is midships on deck 8 and is open sided directly into the atrium space. If there is a performance in the atrium like when we ate there, the Moderno is extremely noisy. One of the features of the restaurant is that it serves small amount of 10 types of meat. Unfortunately all 10 types of meat were cooked until they were dried out and relatively flavorless, not at all what they should have been. The server said there was nothing that could be done about that. Maybe that's why it was less the 25% full?

Entertainment was good to excellent, no reason to give details because the entertainment changes over the months. Most main auditorium shows were small with 1 to 4 entertainers. There were a few large shows. NCL is obviously keeping costs down that way, but the quality of entertainment was still very good. There was live music several places on the ship and it was all very well done.

The cruise sailed through some interesting scenic places, unfortunately NCL didn't have naturalist or historian on board to explain what were were seeing or going to see in the next port. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight 10578

Great location deck 10 a bit forward of the center of the ship, quiet, in excellent condition. Bathroom was small (a bit smaller than veranda cabin bathrooms on other ocean ships I have been on) but very usable.

We booked an Anne of Green Gables and Charlottetown bus tour on our own. Got a good narrated tour of the town, a drive through beautiful countryside and stopped at the Anne of Green Gables park. The line to go through the house was too long to go through the house, but we had nice time walking the large grounds and seeing the other buildings.

Peggy's Cove

(4)
Gray Line tour of Peggy's cove and the Titanic Graveyard. Tour is about 4 hours long, over 1/2 of which is on the bus going between places. We locked out and weather at Peggy's Cove was beautiful, cool but clear, sunny and no wind.

Took a couple of hour $17 boat trip on a local ferry. The captain did an excellent job of narrating and we saw lots of the bay and islands.