Carnival Magic Cruise Review by IndyCruiser777

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Magic Cruise Review by IndyCruiser777
Carnival Magic
Carnival Magic
Member Name: IndyCruiser777
Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 4S
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Rates 5+

Romantic, Affordable Mediterranean Cruise with Spa Package
My wife and I simply love to cruise together. It is amazing how well we travel together when we cruise - and, for us, it is the absolute best way for us both to leave our work behind and escape into each other's company, making romantic memories that will last for the rest of our lives, having plenty of time alone as well as an abundance of time together.

She has cruised several cruise lines dating back to before we were married; I have only cruised Carnival, starting with our honeymoon 9 years ago ... and now that we've been Platinum for a while, I personally see no reason to switch ... except for that occasional trip when we may be looking for a specific itinerary that Carnival does not offer.

In 2011 we booked a Spa Package room on the inaugural voyage of the Magic, and we absolutely loved it!! We spent a couple days in Venice (actually Lido Island, which was extremely cool ... no canals there, which allowed me to jog as much as I wanted which would be difficult in Venice proper ... but it is just a quick water bus ride from Venice itself ... and we discovered tuna pizza in one of Lido's quaint outdoor cafes) ... so we were well into the romantic mood before setting sail.

We both fell in love with the Spa package from the get-go: for me it is the perfect way to finish off an intense work-out in the excellent gym for this class of ship (we have been on the Magic, the Dream, and the Breeze ... all the same class ... all fantastic) ... for her, what can I say, "It's a spa!" Of course that means all the saunas and steam rooms and relaxing areas you could want along with the therapeutic whirlpool (facials, and all the other girlie stuff are extra).

Since we booked a Spa cabin, the more or less private spiral staircase up to the gym, spa, and serenity decks was right around the corner from our room. For economy's sake this cruise was our first interior cabin - all the previous were either Ocean View, Balcony, or Suite [honeymoon, of course ;)]. The Spa package and close access (not to mention that you are on deck 11 or 12) added so much ambiance, that I did not notice at all that it was an interior! Besides, I love to pray and seek the Lord, meditating on the Word in my heart in the morning while she gets coffee and explores the ship, and the interior atmosphere enhances the experience - in my own little cocoon alone with God!

Even though Carnival is known for its on-board activities of a "fun" or "party" nature, there are many opportunities for privacy and serenity, which is what we love ... I don't even notice the other stuff going on.

Speaking of serenity - we love the adult-only Serenity Deck - and, specifically, the "cones" - picture a stationary Tilt-a-Whirl car-like circular chase lounge with a wicker top and aides, a large foot rest, nice padding, pillows ... and privacy ... a great place to chill and read all day ... or snuggle!

Tip - don't wait until 8:00 a.m. on sea days to grab your cone - it's probably too late.

Here is what we love about cruising the Mediterranean - plenty of Romantic ports that stretch the dollar - our second Med. cruise was on the Breeze on a 12 day itinerary that anchored in Venice for 2 days - saved us $600 in Venice hotel bills! (Details in another review).

Though we are selective about our excursions, there is one type that we always enjoy - wine tasting with the locals - nothing compares with any afternoon of fun, fellowship, laughter ... and wine ... under the Tuscan, Sicilian, or Sardinian sun ... simply amazing!

The Magic is a great ship ... but the Mediterranean itineraries are even greater ... my recommendation ... take as long a cruise as your schedule affords ... don't sacrifice number of days for a better cabin (all the Carnival cabins are extremely consistent) ... and consider buying a partial Spa package on board instead of pre-booking one - you may not use it every day ... unless, of course, like us, you like feeling special in our interior Spa room.

One last hint - avoid cabin #11207 (or 12207, I assume ... or the mirror on the other side of the ship on either deck 11 or 12) ... we somehow got this room twice on the Dream and the Breeze ... and never again! It is rated as a handicap room (which happened to be the last Spa Cabin available the first time we got it ... the other time it was a mistake ... we are not handicapped). This cabin is too small and does not have enough closet space! I took one little cube of space so she could have all the rest - and still my wife did not have nearly enough closet space. This is a design flaw in the ship itself ... very unusual for Carnival. Makes you feel like you are living out of a suitcase for the entire cruise. The side cabins are great, though, so no worries, just be careful when booking.

Publication Date: 10/16/12