Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Tupolevtrident

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Tupolevtrident
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Tupolevtrident
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

First Time on a Cruise Ship
We travelled on the QM2 on M224 from New York to Southampton leaving New York on the 2nd October. Now the specifics:

1. This was our first cruise other than three days on the Nile and four days on a small ship from Helsinki to Leningrad (yes Leningrad) so we did not know what to expect. In the event the embarkation and disembarkation process was very easy and very smooth and it was a wonderful experience that we will not forget.

2. Our cabin an A1 deluxe balcony on deck 11 was excellent the only down side was apart from the first two days we were not able to sit on the balcony because of the weather conditions but our steward - Bert from the Philippines - was brilliant, he could not have done more for us. The cabin had one negative point and that was the location of the 13A UK electrical sockets. Because they were so close to the desk belw certain plugs could not be used. In order to charge my mobile phone I had to use the 110V US sockets and an adapter.

3. The evening shows in the Royal Court Theatre were almost all excellent the only exception was the 'two for tap' where two tap dancers sang and tap danced for over 30 of the 45 minutes of the show. They were undoubtedly good but it didn't really work and the choice of 'You'll Never Alone' as the solo song by the male dancer was hardly appropriate.

4. I went one day to the intermediate bridge and learned very little from a session that virtually said that you either play American bidding systems or you are wrong, I never went back instead I went with my wife to the ballroom dancing lessons, much better.

5. Some of the lectures were good in particular the medical ones but the remainder tended to be dry and lack lustre. Here we had quality speakers but dryly repeating facts most of which you could easily find on the internet, the anecdotes were noticeable by their absence.

6. One day my wife went to the Yoga class. At home she goes to yoga two or three times a week and was disappointed that it was taken by a Sports Instructor who seemed to understand little about Yoga.

7. The main negative was the food and the customer service in the Britannia Dining Room. The food was not what we were expecting lacking quality and variety. Only on two of the seven nights did we get a choice of chicken or turkey. The lack of fowl was made up for by the desserts that were foul. Some were virtually inedible. My view of the restaurant was not helped by the waiter spilling ice cream over my brand new suit on the first night. So what apology did I get, well none. I would have been disappointed with this level of customer service if I had been treated like this by Ryanair but Cunard enough said.

8. It was also surprising that some of the food choices in the King's Court ran out before the end of the journey, some understandable, some a complete mystery.

Based on my experience I think that everyone should do this once but do not be surprised by the poor quality of the food and the poor restaurant service.

Publication Date: 10/16/12