Carnival Elation Cruise Review by HYDE0497

Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: 1A
Rates 5+

Had a Great time
Embarktion and Disembarktion were smooth.

The day leaving New Orleans we were delayed for a few minutes due to mechanical issues supposedly. It takes around eight hours to completly get out of distance of shore line. The first night we ate from the buffet but after that we ate in the main dining room each night which is something I would suggest to others. Breakfast from the buffet is different, they have the normal scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, toast etc but have other types of foods you probably wouldn't make at home, which made it interesting. There was always stuff to do on the ship and therefore you don't sleep much if your trying to get it all in. The shows were great though I found the cruise director a little old and arrogant, he tried to be funny when it was obvious he was not funny at all. This trip was two ports; Progresso does not have much to do which I was aware of before our trip as I had done my research this is a port to do some shopping and getting lunch or something or a cheap massage on the beach but that is it. In Cozumel there is so much to do, we had prebooked a trip to Mr.Sancho's an all inclusive beach club and it was awesome!!!! The cab drivers there try to tell you they don't have change so our driver did not get the complete fair which he was fine with, I told him there was no way I was giving him a $5 tip and he should find change and he just accepted what I did have in other bills which was four dollars less than the actual fair. The stores will try the same thing, it's a ploy for you to over pay so I would sugguest having plenty of smaller bills when shopping. Also, I had bought Pesos from my bank before leaving and that made it fun to use their currency. Another tip is that though they have everything broken down into US dollars, alot of the vendors will give different exchange rates. I went to one shop and it was 10 the next was 14, then next was 13 and another was 12. I haggled with a lot of the vendors and if you say no thanks and walk away they will practically chase you down to haggle with you. You can find the same thing in another shop probably cheaper so don't settle.

Back to the ship=== The sailing was good, I only felt it a little rocky a couple of times, our cabin was clean and the steward was great but I don't think our steward was good at the animal towels which is the best part coming back to your cabin to see. The waiters on the pool deck were awesome, drinks are over priced so be sure to have tons of money for drinks. I won the slot tournament and that made the trip awesome!

Deck 7, Room E185 is a upper/lower bed and you can hear noise above your head quite a bit but not too bad, I was so tired it really didn't make a difference.

The last night of the cruise the food I ordered in the main dining room was awful and the waiter quickly asked me if I wanted something else, the service the first night in the main dining room was a little slow but not after that.

One thing I must say about Norwegian is they make announcments more often than this ship did which I liked cause it reminded you of things that were going on around the ship. The muster drill on the first day took way too long and was like unorganized, I fell asleep waiting for them to get down to business.

Would I do this ship again yes? We had a great time and met some awesome people.

Publication Date: 10/15/12