Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by AkronMadisonGal: Accessible Cruising on the Enchantment

AkronMadisonGal
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Canada & New England Cruises

Accessible Cruising on the Enchantment

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Baltimore

My review is based on cruising with a mobility limited parent, and hopefully the information will be helpful to someone else.

Overall, compared to the level of service we've enjoyed on Carnival, Norwegian and Princess, I was surprised with the lack of service on Royal Caribbean. I thought RCI was supposed to be a notch above the other lines I've sailed.

Embarkation was in Baltimore. Flew is a day early. The cruise booked a hotel stay at the Hilton, but after getting there, we found out we had been moved to the Hyatt. Seems with the Oriels being in the playoffs, and a large "Women in Technology" convention in town, the Hilton was overbooked. The hotel picked up the cab ride to the Hyatt, and we were in a room within 15 minutes. The Hyatt was a great hotel and provided 1st class service. If going back, I'd request to stay there versus the Hilton.

We have used the handicapped boarding process on Carnival and Norwegian in the past and expected a similar More set-up with RCI. Such was not the case. We had cruise arranged transfer from the hotel to the ship. The bus dropped us off in the parking lot at the cruise terminal with an approximately 20 yard walk to the registration building. No problem. Mom can walk a short distance, but with stress fractures in her back and bone cancer, she can't stand for long periods. We had pre-arranged for a wheelchair rental to be waiting for her in our stateroom. Typically, the ship will provide wheelchair assistance to get to the cabin and then we have a wheelchair from there.

Upon entering the registration complex, the handicapped were directed to a line that at that time, 11:15-11:30-ish, was 10 families deep. There were two, dedicated handicapped registration agents. After getting thru the line, there were chairs available to wait in for wheelchair access to the ship. Problem is, and my Mom wasn't the only one affected, the handicapped in this line did not have the stamina to stand in line, leaning on their walkers and luggage, in order to register and then get to the chairs. In our case, I could send my Mom to sit down and I could stand in the queue, but that was not the case with dually impaired couples and other singles attempting to board.

Muster drill was easy. Arrived at the appointed place a bit early. Mom was allowed to remain in her wheelchair - they checked off attendance by cabin number.

Access aboard the ship was fine for the most part. Hard to maneuver around deck 4, our stateroom deck, on art auction days, as the art auction is staged on deck 4.

Cabin space was adequate. Shower was among the best and roomiest we've had in an accessible room. Cleanliness was lacking. Upon initial entry, the counter in the dressing area was sticky and had a dead bug on it. The bathroom was quite dusty - the top of the phone and the shaver plug, could of used a wet cleaning cloth. The medicine cabinet shelves were dirty. The room contained a mini fridge for medicinal use, which was unexpected and quite nice. Mom had a medicine that required refrigeration. I had planned on using ice, so the mini fridge was a nice extra. I don't believe the cabin was vacuumed or the bathroom floor swept the entire time we were aboard.

We had "My Time" dining and made reservations via the RCI website before boarding. We confirmed on-board. They set us at a two person table right inside the entrance. Perfect. Wait service wasn't so spectacular. Long waits between courses. Coffee arrived after dessert. This was all the more noticeable by comparison to the excellent service going on at the 8 person table next to us, served by a different waiter team.

Debarkation was easy. Picked up wheel chair assistance on deck 6. Exited on deck 1. Straight thru customs and then claimed our luggage. No muss no fuss. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Large Interior Stateroom Deck 4 4077

Space was adequate. Shower was among the best and roomiest we've had in an accessible room. Cleanliness was lacking. Upon initial entry, the counter in the dressing area was sticky and had a dead bug on it. The bathroom was quite dusty - the top of the phone and the shaver plug, could of used a wet cleaning cloth. The medicine cabinet shelves were dirty. The room contained a mini fridge for medicinal use. I don't believe the cabin was vacuumed or the bathroom floor swept the entire time we were aboard.

Whale Watching Cruise

(5)
Bar Harbor is a tender port. We were in port along with two Holland America Ships. Getting off the ship with a collapsible wheelchair was again a breeze. Only issue - the tender port - we where dropped on a dock with an approximately 100 feet, metal, incline ramp, at an approximate 45 degree angle, to reach the main thoroughfare. There were two dock attendants at the bottom and they helped push the wheelchair up the incline. I'm not sure we would of made it had they not been there to assist. The steep angle was due to the tide and time of day - when we left, there was a short roll to the tender boat with maybe a 20 degree incline. The Holland tenders dropped passengers on a companion dock, right next to the whale watching cruise departure point, and the incline there to get to the main thoroughfare was much more navigable. The Whale Watching cruise had a special boarding process for the mobility limited and it was a great excursion. We saw pilot whales which was rare for the season.

Peggy's Cove

(4)
Had originally booked a Tall Ship excursion here, but with the experience in Bar Harbor, we were spooked about accessibility so we changed to a bus tour that included Peggy's Cove as we knew the bus could handle the collapsible wheelchair. In retrospect, the dock was modern and had even boards, so the advertised "8-10 minute walk along a wooden dock to the tall ship" would have been navigable. As it turned out the, the Peggy's Cove Tour was quite entertaining - we certainly saw a lot of Halifax and that was the point. On this trip, the guide, quite liked himself and his stories, and he got a little boorish by the end of the tour. He diverted our bus on the way back to drive past his boyhood schools, which, in rush hour, was unnecessary, and cut into our time back at the dock to visit the other vendors and markets nearby.

Lighthouses of Maine Tour

(5)
Great tour. Getting off the ship was easy, although there is a rather long walk/roll to actually reach the tour buses, and city. Nothing strenuous, just be aware and allow time. All of the basic city tours are on large buses and collapsible wheelchairs are easily accommodated. After the tour, I pushed Mom, in the wheelchair, into the little city center and we shopped and had lunch at an Irish pub. Everything was very accessible.

Horse Drawn Carriage

(5)
Originally booked a tour sponsored by the ship for the Bay of Fundy and a Train Ride. Booked this tour at the excursion desk, after asking a ton of questions about accessibility and having my Mom with me in the wheelchair. The morning of the tour, we notice that printed right on the bottom of the ticket is "No Wheelchair Access." Worked out okay. It was Canadian Thanksgiving but there were lots of folks out and about and catering to the ship being in port. Wheeled Mom toward town, and after a 10-12 minute walk, there was a horse drawn carriage on the side of the road - $20 per person for an hour ride thru the city center with narration. Blankets included. One guide drove the horses, the other narrated. They answered a ton of questions. They handled the collapsible wheelchair without problem. After the tour, I was able to push Mom around the city center and thru a little mall type area nearby and by many outdoor vendors. We even had a Tim Horton's doughnut and coffee. This turned out to be my favorite stop; the people were incredibly friendly, the sidewalks were wide and access was easy.