Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by AkronMadisonGal

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by AkronMadisonGal
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: AkronMadisonGal
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Accessible Cruising on the Enchantment
My review is based on cruising with a mobility limited parent, and hopefully the information will be helpful to someone else.

Overall, compared to the level of service we've enjoyed on Carnival, Norwegian and Princess, I was surprised with the lack of service on Royal Caribbean. I thought RCI was supposed to be a notch above the other lines I've sailed.

Embarkation was in Baltimore. Flew is a day early. The cruise booked a hotel stay at the Hilton, but after getting there, we found out we had been moved to the Hyatt. Seems with the Oriels being in the playoffs, and a large "Women in Technology" convention in town, the Hilton was overbooked. The hotel picked up the cab ride to the Hyatt, and we were in a room within 15 minutes. The Hyatt was a great hotel and provided 1st class service. If going back, I'd request to stay there versus the Hilton.

We have used the handicapped boarding process on Carnival and Norwegian in the past and expected a similar set-up with RCI. Such was not the case. We had cruise arranged transfer from the hotel to the ship. The bus dropped us off in the parking lot at the cruise terminal with an approximately 20 yard walk to the registration building. No problem. Mom can walk a short distance, but with stress fractures in her back and bone cancer, she can't stand for long periods. We had pre-arranged for a wheelchair rental to be waiting for her in our stateroom. Typically, the ship will provide wheelchair assistance to get to the cabin and then we have a wheelchair from there.

Upon entering the registration complex, the handicapped were directed to a line that at that time, 11:15-11:30-ish, was 10 families deep. There were two, dedicated handicapped registration agents. After getting thru the line, there were chairs available to wait in for wheelchair access to the ship. Problem is, and my Mom wasn't the only one affected, the handicapped in this line did not have the stamina to stand in line, leaning on their walkers and luggage, in order to register and then get to the chairs. In our case, I could send my Mom to sit down and I could stand in the queue, but that was not the case with dually impaired couples and other singles attempting to board.

Muster drill was easy. Arrived at the appointed place a bit early. Mom was allowed to remain in her wheelchair - they checked off attendance by cabin number.

Access aboard the ship was fine for the most part. Hard to maneuver around deck 4, our stateroom deck, on art auction days, as the art auction is staged on deck 4.

Cabin space was adequate. Shower was among the best and roomiest we've had in an accessible room. Cleanliness was lacking. Upon initial entry, the counter in the dressing area was sticky and had a dead bug on it. The bathroom was quite dusty - the top of the phone and the shaver plug, could of used a wet cleaning cloth. The medicine cabinet shelves were dirty. The room contained a mini fridge for medicinal use, which was unexpected and quite nice. Mom had a medicine that required refrigeration. I had planned on using ice, so the mini fridge was a nice extra. I don't believe the cabin was vacuumed or the bathroom floor swept the entire time we were aboard.

We had "My Time" dining and made reservations via the RCI website before boarding. We confirmed on-board. They set us at a two person table right inside the entrance. Perfect. Wait service wasn't so spectacular. Long waits between courses. Coffee arrived after dessert. This was all the more noticeable by comparison to the excellent service going on at the 8 person table next to us, served by a different waiter team.

Debarkation was easy. Picked up wheel chair assistance on deck 6. Exited on deck 1. Straight thru customs and then claimed our luggage. No muss no fuss.

Publication Date: 10/15/12