American Queen Cruise Review by Mmlyn

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Category: B
See More About: American Queen Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | American Queen Steamboat Company Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: American Queen Review (by Cruise Critic!)
The American Queen
We selected this cruise because we had signed on with Public TV. It was a theme cruise on the Civil War. I still do not know what is civil about any war. We arrived in New Orleans and walked over to the French Quarter and had a very nice meal at NOLA'S. A nice hotel, The Sheraton and then we were told that the river was too shallow for the boat to come into New Orleans. We were bussed to Vicksburg, MS and had a tour of the battlefield and the monuments. No water was available except in the water fountains (and this is a National Park) mind you.

There wasn't any on the bus either. The ship line put us up in a hotel in Jackson Ms. We listened to a guide all that day who droned on with this date and that date

The next day we got back on the bus and this time we had a guide who was was just as knowedgeable as the first one but he had a sense of humor and did make it interesting. He was the preacher on the boat.

Let me tell you about the good things on the boat. The riverlorian was wonderful. He was always there to answer questions and he was always

pleasant and so knowledgeable. The music and shows were super. The theater was a gem. The shows were excellent.

Now the not so good. The dining--I felt as if we were in a culinary school and they were learning on our time. I loved the fresh fruits and vegetables. With buffets for lunch how about some labels instead of the guessing game. Do you know what that is?

Our room stewardess was a love. When I told her that my side of the bed was always filled with black bugs she had the room fumigated. She changed the light bulbs so that we could see in bed and the bathroom but she also felt so close to us that she didn't feel the need to knock before she inserted the key and entered.

We did have a shipboard credit and the only place to spend it was in the gift shop. What did they have in the gift shop? Everything with the logo American Queen. Would I bring home souveniers for my sons with that logo?

Finally, did we have a good time? Very definely yes. I cannot blame the company for the river being low. Was it worth the price -No. Would we do it again. No.

Publication Date: 10/15/12