Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Fernhurst4: Fabulous EPIC

Fabulous EPIC

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Firstly CHECK-IN - I needed assistance for embarkation which unfortunately was a fiasco. We were told where to sit and wait, we waited - and other people were taken before me that checked in later!!! Eventually after a few complaints to staff, I was assisted. This is/was our only complaint.

The ship is fabulous, but we knew that anyway because we had previously gone on a "taster cruise" with the Epic. I would definitely recommend doing this if you can. Once on board we went to the huge Garden Cafe for lunch - it had something for everyone - the variety was overwhelming - it was all cooked perfectly (and I am very fussy with food). You could also have "free" coffee, iced tea, hot tea (various flavours), or water. We ate here quite often.

RESTAURANTS - TASTE (named) - my husband enjoyed his steaks, but I am afraid since our "taster cruise" when I thought it the best restaurant, had gone downhill for me. Chicken I had was dry/bland, jacket potato was small and dry More (not fluffy), vegetables far too al dente. After a couple of meals we went elsewhere.
The MANHATTAN restaurant was lovely - better atmosphere - although service a bit slow. The food was far better in here. We would definitely only go to this one if we cruised on the Epic again.
O'SHEGHANS - 24 hour diner - food here too was very nice, you could have breakfast, lunches, snacks etc. Again food cooked well and tasty.
EPIC THEATRE - we saw Legends in Concert show which was fantastic. The theatre itself is spacious and nice seats.
The BLISS LOUNGE - very decorative/glitzy - we went here and played some quizzes - we also met some really nice friendly cruisers here.
Lovely shops on board - perfumery, jewellers, cigarettes/tobacco/alcohol and much more.
Our CABIN - we had a mid-ship balcony on Deck 8 - had everything you needed and a lovely filter coffee maker which included coffee, sugar, milk etc. Large TV - some old and good films on, comedies, news etc. In room bar if wanted (steward would have to unlock it). Also had "Pay per view" films for 9.95 dollars. Only downside of our cabin was the balcony, which was only partially covered (others above were fully covered). You can smoke on the balcony too.
The EPIC is a huge ship - only has elevators forward and aft (none mid-ship). We would definitely sail on her again and recommend to others. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Balcony Stateroom Deck 12 8076

We embarked at Barcelona. Very big city, nice buildings, easy to get around. We got a taxi from centre to port which was about 15 euros plus tip. Our taxi back to our hotel which was further away was 30 euros (incl small tip). It's about the same to the airport direct. We have been to Barcelona quite a few times - Las Ramblas is a huge shopping area with MIMES on the street - quite incredible some of them. Eating on Las Ramblas is expensive so go down a "side" road or elsewhere.

Our ship had to anchor off shore - supplied tenders for those wishing to go ashore. We didn't fancy going by tender, so stayed on board.
Read 176 Cannes Reviews

Marseille looked very pretty, interesting - but again we didn't get off - this time due to the bad weather!!!!

Got off a cruise ship before in Naples and did suppossedly a "panoramic view coach trip" - was overpriced, and we both thought Naples (See Naples and Die - they say) was very over-rated. On this little excursion we saw a "first" coffee house and pizza shop (which were closed and nothing at all special). The Opera hall closeby - old building (probably famous) but we have seen much bigger/decorative/nicer elsewhere in England.
Read 646 Naples Reviews

Civitavecchia was very far from the main areas of Rome (Vatican etc), so we didn't bother getting off our ship.