Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Cruiser5726: 17 day Panama Canal Celebrity Infinity cruise

Cruiser5726
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

17 day Panama Canal Celebrity Infinity cruise

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Seattle

Our 17 day cruise was the longest cruise we have taken yet. I convinced my husband that we should share the cost out of our private funds since the budget couldn't take another cruise this year. It was our birthday present to each other. My husband hurt his back a week before the cruise so it was really iffy as to whether we would be able to go but I kept the faith and we went.

Our first disappointment was the fact that they no longer put pitchers of ice water in the rooms twice a day. Cruise lines are cutting back but how much could this save? It was a special perk we really appreciated on the other 2 Celebrity cruises we took. We were not impressed with the food in the Trellis dining room. I had steak about 8 times and only twice was it actually good. I kept hoping it was a fluke that the meat was so bad. A lot of others complained about the quality of the food.

Some of the shows on the ship were absolutely fantastic! All three production shows on the 3 More formal nights were great. There were 10 dancers and 5 singers who also danced. The most entertaining shows were Elliot and Ian Finkel. Elliot is a spectacular pianist and Ian is probably the world's best xylophone player. Each of them put on a show and they also did another show together. I don't think I'll ever forget these shows. The brothers mentioned they only get to do shows together about twice a year so we felt very fortunate to see their show. Celebrity should be congratulated on bringing these guys on to entertain!

Service on the ship was great, both at dinner and in our stateroom. There was a plumbing problem one night where no one's toilet worked that lasted about 4 hours. The internet service was a joke. The internet people told us it was a problem with their DOM (whatever that meant) but it frustrated everyone and it wasted a lot of minutes that were expensive.

We paid $20 to have a bag of laundry washed. They must use recycled water because the clothes smelled when they were returned. On a previous cruise using the same $20 coupon for a bag of laundry, shirts came back on hangers. This time it was folded and stuffed back into bags and returned to us with an odor.

I complained of the sound of water running by our window (24 hours a day) but never got any response from guest relations. It literally sounded like a bathtub was draining all the time. We learned to ignore it at night (white noise?)

We really enjoyed the talks by Captain Larry Rudner. He talked about Cortez, Mayans, the canal, stars, the ocean and more.

Even with the disappointments, this was in our top 10 favorite cruises. This was my 33rd cruise and my husbands 30th cruise. We started cruising in 2001. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Oceanview Stateroom Continental Deck (2) 2082

Nice size, water noise by window, quiet location from other guests, lots of exercise since it was 143 stairs to the Lido deck, not enough hangers.

We were at the tail end of Hurricane Miriam so it rained (a lot) at this port. Many people were drenched when they came off the tender boats. We have been to this port several times so decided not to get off the ship. We sat by the pool before the rain started and were very happy to be indoors when it was raining.

You could take a shuttle to the end of the pier but we chose to walk. We were told there were all kinds of shops at the end of the pier. I was specifically looking for a pharmacy. There was one big souvenir shop at the end of the pier. If you went through the shop, taxi drivers "attacked" you trying to offer their services. It was annoying. We were told everything was miles away (including the closest pharmacy) so chose to turn around and walk back to the ship. Our dinner table partners said who took a taxi all around the city said that everywhere they stopped, they were hounded by people trying to get them to buy whatever it was they were selling. It was not a fun experience for them when vendors would not take "no" for an answer.

We have been to this port many times and also spent a week here so we just walked around looking at where we stayed. We had a margarita at the restaurant near the dock and were disappointed. Then we had 2 (or was it 3?) strawberry margaritas at the bar that operates out of a kiosk type wagon that is inside the secure area by the ship. They were great and the bartender (Brenda) actually remembered us from our trip there last November.

White Water Rafting

(5.5)
I was able to find others interested in doing white water rafting by a post on cruise critics. There were 9 of us in a van picked up on the dock and taken up the mountain (nearly 2 hour drive) to do the rafting. We had a great time on this excursion. We had white water rafted twice before in Costa Rica through the cruise ship but since it wasn't offered, found this one on Google. It was a pretty physical experience, more so than the last one we did. I don't think any of us will forget it anytime soon. We also won't forget the ride back on windy roads that scared the you-know-what out of us. Our driver was trying to get us back at the scheduled time. They should have picked us up earlier so we didn't have to rush back. Maybe we took too long at lunch at a restaurant that served us a typical Costa Rican lunch. This excursion made our trip special!

We docked close to Fisherman's Wharf so walked the wharf for a couple hours. Since we had stayed there before, we weren't planning to do anything specific. We ported from mid day on day one to mid day on day two. I understand many people wanted to tour Alcatraz and the ship sold excursion tickets for both days but they were denied the second day saying that no one would be able to tour from the ship on the second day. (Some rule from Port Authority.) People whose excursions were cancelled tried to buy Alcatraz tickets on their own but they were sold out.