Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by ladyslippertraveller: Wonderful Ports, Great Crew BUT SMOKING TERRIBLE

ladyslippertraveller
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Wonderful Ports, Great Crew BUT SMOKING TERRIBLE

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My husband and I just returned from spending three weeks in Europe and while there we took an 11 day cruise on Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas. The ship has recently been renovated and was lovely. Our balcony cabin was very nice and we enjoyed the new furniture, the decor and the layout of the furniture in the cabin.
The crew - the dining room staff, My Time Dining, the Guest Services crew, our cabin steward Louis Clovis were all outstanding and made the trip for us. They treated us like family and if we had any concerns they were addressed immediately. Louis, our cabin steward, was so kind to us and we appreciated his care and friendliness. Our "My Time" dining staff on the 5th deck were 100% and it was a pleasure going to dinner each evening. We always looked forward to seeing them each evening. Each day we ate our breakfast in the dining room on Deck four and Brenda and John looked after us. Again they were great and offered us personal care and the greatest of service. More Each morning we would go to their table as we knew we were going to be greeted with a smile and well looked after. The entertainment on the ship was very good and the theatre was lovely. We loved the ports of call and have no complaints. However we do have one major complaint and that is the fact that Royal Caribbean allows passengers to SMOKE on their balconies. It was totally unbearable to have a couple right next to you smoking at all hours of the day and night. We always book a cabin with a balcony because we enjoy the fresh air and do not like and are allergic to air conditioning. When smokers are right next to you their second hand smoke drifts over to you and also comes right into your cabin - you cannot get away from it. Just because you are sailing does not mean that the smoke is not bothersome.
It is very disappointing that we pay the same amount of money for our balcony cabin but due to the smoke cannot use and enjoy it as much. My husband and I enjoy sitting out early in the morning and also during the late evening hours but these passengers were always there puffing away with no consideration for us. I am allergic to smoke so my only avenue was to go in the cabin and close the door - so much for having a balcony. Royal Caribbean has to change their rules and band smoking on the balconies. If they do not want to do this then they should put all the smokers on one side of the ship. Smokers are selfish - they are not allowed to smoke in the cabin so they come out on the balcony and smoke non stop. Passengers should be asked when booking if they want smoking or non smoking. That is an easy question and saves the non smokers a lot of headaches. This is 2012 and everyone knows smoking causes cancer as well as many other health problems. Come on Royal Caribbean lead the way and band smoking on the balconies. The staff at Guest Services wanted to make a courtesy call to our neighbours in the next cabin but I did not want that to happen so I put up with it. Our other neighbours were in the same situation - both of them were non smokers but they had to put up with two smokers on their other side...so here you had two cabins of non smokers and we both had smokers right next to us - how crazy is that. Think about it.
We have done most of our cruising with Royal Caribbean - we like their ships, we like their service and think their crews are outstanding but we hope they soon realize that smoking on balconies has to go. I look forward to the day when this become a reality. I have no problem with those who want to smoke but I do have a problem when it involved me, my husband and my family. Our family is booked on the Allure of the Seas in November and we are travelling with our 12 year old granddaughter - I hope we will be lucky enough to have non smokers on each side of our cabins. We will be keeping our fingers crossed. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7622

Our cabin was lovely. We had a balcony with large windows and a large sliding door. The newly refurbished cabin was delightful. Great colours, lots of space and our cabin steward kept everything spotless. He was excellent. Our only complaint is the SMOKING OF OTHERS drifting into our cabin and over to our balcony. That spoiled it for us.

We travelled into the city on our own. We enjoyed shopping, having a good walk, seeing the sights and enjoying a great lunch....

We had a great time here - shopped a bit and then took a taxi 15 Euros to the beach. There was three of us so we shared the cab and the cost. We had a great time at the beach - no fees for the lounges or the umbrellas but we ate at the nearby restaurant/outside cafe. The food was delicious.
Read 25 Bodrum Reviews

This is a beautiful city and a great one to explore. My husband and I have been here three times so we did a walk, bought a few gifts, had a wonderful lunch at an outside cafe overlooking the harbour and then walked to the beach to swim the rest of the afternoon. If it is your first time you will need the full day to explore.

Love this seaside resort town. Great for shopping and wonderful cafes with delicious food. Again I was here before so after two hours of shopping we took a white mini van for one Euro to Ladies Beach. This beach is in a lovely residential area, it has lots of hotels, apartments, shops and cafes. We rented two beach lounges and an umbrella for $10. and spent the day enjoying the sea....what a nice place to swim, relax, enjoy the sun and have a great meal....Ladies Beach - you can get the mini van right after you get off the ship.
Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

(5.5)
What a delightful island. Lots of shops and friendly people. Wonderful seaside cafes with great food. If you like to swim wear your bathing suit to shore...they is a lovely beach - no lounges or umbrellas or changing house but you can use your beach towel from the ship and have a wonderful swim. We had a great time. This is another place I could stay for a week or more....
Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

This is one of the most beautiful places in the world...when you come to shore by tender you can go up to the city high on the top of the hill/mountain by cable car or by donkey. I always go by donkey - it is a great experience. The donkey knows the way and the view is great. Try it you will have fun. Lots of beautiful cafes, restaurants and shops - with magnificent views....I could stay there for several weeks. The people are friendly and it is just a wonderful place.

(5.5)
What a beautiful city. The historic waterfront is so clean, lots of beautiful flowers and shrubs and park benches...what a place to sit, enjoy the view and people watch. Lots and lots of cafes and then the dozens of small walking streets - they offer so much with numerous shops selling everything under the sun. I love the many art shops. They are wonderful. Split is one of my favourite places.
Read 142 Split Reviews