Carnival Valor Cruise Review by PETE45: Big Disappointment

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Big Disappointment

Sail Date: October 2012

We spent most evenings trying to find some decent entertainment. Most of the clubs were empty. There was no live Caribbean music on board and very little going on on in terms of deck parties. Every place we went in the evening the promenade deck was crowded with photographer sets that left little room for other activities and few seats. The main entertainment was crew provided or comedians. The comedians were OK but there was little diversity in other entertainment. Most of the dancing venues were either in the smoking lounge or in the promenade portion of the casino where the foot traffic crosses the small dance floor. Much of the other "entertainment" was provided by a DJ.

The food in the main dining room was mediocre at best and the deserts were tasteless. The so called fillet was a small piece of meat served over a piece of pot roast to extend the amount of meat. What a poor joke. It looks to me like Carnival is cutting corners everywhere on their ships. One More thing that they have clearly succeeded in cutting will be my wife and myself. This was our fifth and final Carnival cruise. I understand that Carnival is in the lower priced end of the market, but the value is no longer there in my opinion.

The one bright spot was the cabin service which we found to be excellent, and for which we gave our steward an extra tip.

I was also astounded by the lack of professionalism at the lifeboat muster drill. No one could hear the announcements over the chatter which was going on during the drill and the crew made no attempt to maintain quiet so that those who have never gone through a drill before could hear. They also made no attempt to demonstrate how to put on a life jacket. I brought my concerns to the attention of the ship's officer who was observing the drill and he told me that he also could not hear the announcements. I have never before seen such an incompetent drill and I now understand why there was so much confusion on the Costa Concordia during the abandon ship exercise. I could not believe that Carnival had not learned anything from that disaster. The safety of the passengers and crew should be the first responsibility of the ships officers. This is obviously not the case with Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>